Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 NOVA LQ9. Going AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your AWD idea, would you save much work to use the frame or front frame section from your donor vehicle ?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly, i guess it depends if im able to get a doner car, im having a hard time acquiring the parts themselves. Im looking for an escalade awd or TBSS system.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

I finally got the car started tonight!!!! it had 3 different TPS codes being thrown. But that was because ive had the key in the on position many times before hooking up my pedal. I cleared the codes and its running like a champ.

Thank you all who have helped my on this quest........

All and all it was uneventful, i did find the output from my Corvette regulator was leaking, but i didnt have the AN line tightened.

The LS6 Cam definitely doesnt lope like the old small block with my dual 3" with Flows and dumps, im thinking of switching to Summit Mufflers then go over the rear end and dump behind the wheels.

My new Brake booster is getting vacuum but isnt assisting braking, the check valve seems to be working but its not flowing like one i had from my camaro. But the hose size is different. We will see.

This engine revs fast and hard. sounds amazing.

i wont put it on the road until i get the Oil catch can all installed.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Congratulations! That's great news.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Congratulations! That's great news.
Thank you, it feels like such a weight was lifted off my shoulders when it started and ran great. All these new obsticals swapping in this engine, so many questions. Im very glad this website is around, without it i would have given up long ago.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Launching!

sweet.......how about a video?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pairof69s
sweet.......how about a video?
Maybe one when i get home, its suppose to be 115 today, so i might wait a day or so. Naaahhh ill be working on the pcv system today.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Pcv system is done, my brake booster has to come off, its leaking vacuum and has to be replaced, eventhough its new. Autozone said its on backorder and the Manufacurer is showing zero stock, so im getting my money back and a swift kick in the *** im guessing.

I took the car down the road and this vacuum hissing in the car was loud from the booster. a couple taps of the throttle left a couple black strips on the road, didnt get above 10mph because of the brakes.

Other than that, ive got to set my tach to 4cyl and see if it works then.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Launching!

if you are really still doing a awd set up why not just use a syty t case a tbss pan and differential all that stuff is easy to find and pretty cheep, hell i bet blazer knuckles are pretty close to your stockers. 99ish s10 axles work with the tbss diff and they come in two different lengths. (zr2 is longer) This was the set up I used in the awd 240sx I built but the problem I ran into was front axle angle. The hood was just too low, I scrapped the whole project. good luck
Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, im still doing the AWD setup, im just collecting parts and knowledge ahead of time. Doing research helped me on my swap, i just want to get everything i need before i down my car again, its been in "swap mode" for two years now, i want to put some miles on this setup.

I will have my new brake booster and Master cylinder on Friday, so i will post some pics and maybe some vids this weekend.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

damn, maybe i should wait to check her out until saturday... i'll still stop by tonight after work though
Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
damn, maybe i should wait to check her out until saturday... i'll still stop by tonight after work though
Your welcome to stop by anytime, ill be extending the MAF wires and installing the CAI tonight.

Im thinking of bringing it to a car show this weekend, the paint is far from show quality.... ok its horible. But the rest is nice.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

congrats. it sounds awesome with the 3" flowmaster exhaust (the video doesn't do it justice - it's not tinny at all when revved up). and though i didn't get a pic of the gauge cluster, you did a great job on that.

PS - i added you to the x-body thread. what headers and mounts are you running?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCjng7fMmkA
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
congrats. it sounds awesome with the 3" flowmaster exhaust (the video doesn't do it justice - it's not tinny at all when revved up). and though i didn't get a pic of the gauge cluster, you did a great job on that.

PS - i added you to the x-body thread. what headers and mounts are you running?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCjng7fMmkA
For Headers im running Doug Thorley Full thength non Coated pn D3337

For motor mounts im using Trans Dapt Adapters with Energy suspension Mount. With custom Motor stands welded to the Crossmember.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GREAT Job 74nova................
Old 08-27-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Thank You, 2 years in the making.

I took the car to the Gas station just to get a feel for it. WOW soo much TQ low. 2500 stall doesnt even act there is one but ive got to get use to the sensitive pedal.

Around 20MPH i got on it and it shifted down and went ape ish. Even with the Cal trac system and the 275/60s they just went up in smoke. Very happy with this setup.

Only went 1 mile on the freeway back home to test it at higher speeds, very nice....My speedo needs to be calibrated though. I love the OD.

Time to Celebrate..... But i dont Drink... Owell
Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on the AWD set-up?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon
Any updates on the AWD set-up?
nothing yet, im just locating all the parts for the AWD before i down the car again, im enjoying the car as my DD. The next thing on my agenda is when i locate the front diff that im going to use im going to install the matching gears in my rear end, When my gears were installed they were done without a depth gauge, so they are very loud.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

still waiting for my joy ride. and this car is a beauty in person. very well put together build
Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

you finally replaced the TAC module?

I finally got the nova aligned (lifetime alignment at firestone. wish i'd done that before i rebuilt the front end 5 times...), but haven't started on the VA kit or deadener yet. i'm going to try to keep her roadworthy while doing the work, since it's almost cool enough to drive.

FYI, I changed all the fluids in my Grand Cherokee this weekend, checked out the 4-wheel drive system while I was under it. you're right about AWD seeming to be fairly simple (at least in this case). Maybe a couple sensors for torque management, but that could likely be disabled pretty easily.

Quick Reply: 74 NOVA LQ9. Going AWD