Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by burntblues
Assuming they are... If I can find a gas station with flex fuel... can I run it with no other changes?
I'm pretty sure your PCM has to be set up to run flex fuel, but personally, I wouldn't put that highly corrosive crap in my tank. You also don't get as good of mileage with it. Just my $0.02
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on it firing up! I just drove mine the other day!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your PCM is programmed to work with FLEX FUEL? So you actually have an optical sensor in your gas tank? Your tune is either for gas or E85, not both unless you have an optical sensor in the tank.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Looks like I couldn't do flex if I wanted to. I don't have the optical sensor required to run it and apparently it was disabled in the PCM. I'm ok with that.

I found a place in Naples, Florida that will attempt to clean the injectors using an ultrasonic method. $16.00 per injector, no charge if they can't make it work. I'm assuming that the injectors aren't clicking because they are just so plugged, right?

I'll try sending them off and see if this guy can get them cleaned. While that's going on I'll try tiding up a bunch of the other stuff.

Thanks all!
Mike
Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do E85 if you want to, Your injectors are big enough, as long as the rest of the system is up to snuff, all you will need is to have it tuned for it. Ive got a guy local to me in AZ that only wants 150.00 to tune to E85, im sure if thats what you want you could find a mail order programmer like Frost to do it for you.

There are goods and bads on E85. Do your own research and see if it will benefit your Combination. With High compression, Nitrous and boost its a great alternative to super expensive Race Gas. With so many opinions on here about E85 Good and Bad. The choice is yours.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like I couldn't do flex if I wanted to. I don't have the optical sensor required to run it and apparently it was disabled in the PCM. I'm ok with that.

I found a place in Naples, Florida that will attempt to clean the injectors using an ultrasonic method. $16.00 per injector, no charge if they can't make it work. I'm assuming that the injectors aren't clicking because they are just so plugged, right?

I'll try sending them off and see if this guy can get them cleaned. While that's going on I'll try tiding up a bunch of the other stuff.

Thanks all!
Mike
Mike, PM Chuck Leeper (Old Geezer). He's in NE Georgia and cleans injectors cheaper than that...
Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Russ,

Thanks for the tip, I'm sending him a PM now and will pull the injectors. Now that I've heard this thing live I'm ready to keep rolling!

Thanks all!
Mike
Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations!
Yes, the injector should make one audible 'click' sound as 9v is applied.
It will make another 'click' as batt is released.
FIC, known as Fuel Injector Connection in GA did good by me. 3 of my 8 28lb-ers were unusable because they were clogged. Mine were older than yours, I think. FIC replaced the 3 bad ones with ones from stock, then flow-matched all 8. They can also resize your present injectors to a larger size. I had them resize the 28lb-ers @ 58psi, to 36lbs @ 58psi.
Try Jon Banner @ FIC if you like. 770-888-1662
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Default still no start

The corvette regulator I had hooked up wrong and got that fixed. I am running 55-60 psi fuel pressure at the rail but the noid light shows power only in the on position not start. I read on sixtys cars there is some wiring to change at the ignition switch, but can't find the post in search. has anyone else read this or is there a better fix?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Joe,

What year specifically is your nova? I think that my Haynes manual covers the 60's models and I can check which wire is running the coil for you out of the fuse block. That should solve the problem.

Everyone,

I sent the injectors off to Chuck and it turns out 4 or the 8 were shot. He sent them back but did include a new set of o-rings and a new retaining clip (One of mine shot down the cowl when I was putting it back on). Rebuilt injectors should be here tuesday so I can let everyone know then if we're finally ready to roll. In the meantime I put the front bumper back on and organized the wiring harness so it's a little hidden. Hopefully today the hood will get put back on, but I need someone on the other side to lift. Progress has been slow since I got LASIK and haven't been allowed out in my garage.

Mike
Old 07-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Mike
I have a 66 Nova with a LS1 from a 2001 z28 Camaro with 6 speed maual transmission. Thanks for your help and everyones suggestions.

Who did you sent your injectors to?
Joe
Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Alright,

Got the new injectors today. God this car is LOUD!! Thanks so much everyone for the help! I got a video of it firing up. If I can figure out how to upload it, you'll get to hear it.

Joe,

It looks like the wire you're going to want to splice into that is hot during cranking has a few different colors assigned to it between '62 & '71. It would have run from the old ignition coil and it would be yellow OR pink or Black with a pink tracer. Mine (in a '72) was black w/ the pink tracer. I'll be re routing my power wire to under the hood from the fuse panel.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't see the rest of your post. I sent the injectors to chuck leeper on the board. I think he charged $107.00. Even though he couldn't fix the injectors he sent me a new retaining clip for the fuel rail (I lost mine in the cowl) and he sent me a whole new set of o-rings. It wasn't the best news, but he was really quick and stayed in contact while he was working on them. He was a really professional guy and seemed really into doing whatever he could do to help. Unfortunately, my injectors were just shot.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Glad to hear you got it running, sucks that you had to buy new injectors though.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright,

Got the new injectors today. God this car is LOUD!! Thanks so much everyone for the help! I got a video of it firing up. If I can figure out how to upload it, you'll get to hear it.
Mike,

If you have a YouTube account, you can upload the video there, then copy that link, and paste here on LS1Tech.
Congratulations.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Good job Mike,
Can't wait for the video of your engine running!
I do not have my LS1 running yet but I have sent in my injectors for cleaning and just waiting for them to come back, I did find the post I was looking for. It was in the FAQ section of LSTECH.COM...who would have guessed! I pulled my ignition switch and it does not have the ignition 2 terminel just a blank. The post said to have the coils getting power in start to connect terminels IGN1 and IGN2. so I am back to trying to wire the coil packs hot in the start mode. The noid light was on in run and off in start. Anyone have some ideas I could sure use the help.
Joe
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe H
Good job Mike,
Can't wait for the video of your engine running!
I do not have my LS1 running yet but I have sent in my injectors for cleaning and just waiting for them to come back, I did find the post I was looking for. It was in the FAQ section of LSTECH.COM...who would have guessed! I pulled my ignition switch and it does not have the ignition 2 terminel just a blank. The post said to have the coils getting power in start to connect terminels IGN1 and IGN2. so I am back to trying to wire the coil packs hot in the start mode. The noid light was on in run and off in start. Anyone have some ideas I could sure use the help.
Joe
My swap had this problem. Looking back on my wiring diagrams, the car had two coil wires, one with full 12v for cranking and the other with a built-in resistor for run. I realized that I not only deleted the wrong one, but both! I ended up running a jumper wire from a "keyed 12v" wire to the "crank" wire to make it hot, and added a hidden switch in that wire for an anti-theft device.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Russ, that sounds like what I will do.
Thanks for your help
Joe
Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Joe,

How's it coming?

Everyone,

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vItloWiBRA8

The sound didn't really come across in the digital camera.

Mike
Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Mike.
Nice job, engine sounds good. Have you had a chance to drive it?
I got my injectors back and on but the little clips I have not fiqured out which way the go on? This should do it for me once they are on I hope to start it up.
Joe

Quick Reply: no start!