Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Chatter issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Chatter issues

I've got the McLeod 460530 Flywheel, 360820 Pressure plate, 260873 (800 series) Clutch disc and a Keisler HTB in my LS2/TKO-600 Chevelle. Problem is I'm having bad chatter issues.
I contacted McLeod Tech. line and was told that this was a common issue with the 800 series disc (I believe its a Kevlar/Aluminum). They have discontinued this clutch disc series because of the chatter problem and he recommended I replace the disc with a 500 series (ceramic/organic).

Anyone have any input?
I've thought about switching out the Clutch and pressure plate to the stock LS7 kit, am not sure if it will mate up to the flywheel. According to Mcleod, the 460530 has two bolt patterns: a 11, 12" B&B-DIAPHRAGM-SHOULDERED BOLT and a 12" LS1 DIAPHRAGM METRIC BOLTS W/DOWEL PIN PATTERN.

Will the LS7 Pressure Plate bolt up to the 12" LS1 Diaph. Metric Bolt w/dowel pin pattern?

I really hate the thought of pulling the tranny, especial since the Keisler HTB will mean having to pull the trans and scatter shield at the same time. But I don't think I can live with the chatter....that's one reason I'm thinking of going with the stock LS7 parts, probably softer pedal and less likely to have chatter issues in the future.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

I believe the LS7 requires a LS7 flywheel.. wby not just buy the 500 series like they suggested?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rick Speed
I believe the LS7 requires a LS7 flywheel.. wby not just buy the 500 series like they suggested?
Even with the Hydraulic TOB, the clutch pedal effort is a little more than I was expecting. So, I was thinking that if I went with the LS7 setup, I'd help with this. I'll probably just go with the 500 series as recommended.

Just wanted to see if there were any differing opinions out there.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running an LS7 clutch and flywheel on my LS2 with a Kiesler TKO600 and HTOB. No chatter whatsoever, very smooth clutch and light pedal effort.

I know an LS7 clutch will not work on an LS1 flywheel. The mating surface on the LS7 disc and pressure plate are larger. I don't remember exactly but I think the inner diameter goes farther in on the LS7 unit.

I have no idea if it will work with your McLeod FW. Probably just take a phone call to find out.

I was a little disappointed with the way Kiesler modified the HTOB to work with the TKO for just the reason you said, the bell needs to come off with the trans. That and Kiesler didn't machine their modified front cover on the TKO properly so I had to pull it once to fix a leak. But now that I resealed that properly everything works just fine.

Here is link with a pic showing the LS7 and stock Ls6 clutches. Same outer diameter but smaller ID

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12521346

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 08-09-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Chatter issues