Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamax headers scrape in lowered first gens!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must be the way my engine is super low. I'm assuming that because future's car is lowered an inch more than mine.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rp0029
I have hotchkiss 2" front drop springs (part no 19830012) and just installed the global west L16 1 1/5" lowering rear springs. Edelbrock IAS shocks all around. I must have the wrong mounts/frame stands or something, because look at this crap:

I'm going to try raising the front 1" with spacers, and if I still scrape a lot I am going to swap out some mid length headers or something. Before the lowering rear springs (think joe dirt) the exhaust was a bit low, but this is just too crazy.
Holy **** Dude! I really thought I had the worst case of these headers hanging low but you win! What is your stand/mount/adaptor combo? Certainly you can find a combo that works better or send the headers back. Your suspension is not the problem.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

It must be the way my engine is super low. I'm assuming that because future's car is lowered an inch more than mine.
Yes, eibach sportlines with ebay control arms = at least 3 inch drop from stock!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

I have the stock engine stands (327) with Energy Suspension mounts to match and my headers hang below the cross member about half the diameter of the collector. My engine sits at a negative 3-5 degrees. It seems as if your engine is tilted back considerably taking note of the header angle.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Suspension Not The Problem??

I have hotchkiss 2" front drop springs (part no 19830012) and just installed the global west L16 1 1/5" lowering rear springs. Edelbrock IAS shocks all around. I must have the wrong mounts/frame stands or something, because look at this crap

Those dynatech headers are known to hang low,
How could the suspension not be a big part of the problem with 2" front drop springs and the global west rear lowering springs, there is always a trade off on functionality and form. And unfortunately at least in this case you get what you pay for on the Dynatechs vs. Kooks, I hope you can find a solution for your car, Good Luck
Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

With the Dougs headers and Dougs adapters I installed on my Nova, the collector tube OD is only about 1/4" below the frame. Once flanges are added it will eat up a little bit more clearance, but looking at your pictures the Dougs headers are MUCH MUCH tighter to the car. Looking at the pics posted in this thread, there's no way I would go with the Dynatechs over the Dougs.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Just to give you a comparison from one Camaro to another. Here is a photo with my subframe as a reference point. I am at a negative 3-5 degrees at the engine using the stock 327 factory engine stands with matching ES mounts. I have the Swaptech adapters flipped over.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Just to give you a comparison from one Camaro to another. Here is a photo with my subframe as a reference point. I am at a negative 3-5 degrees at the engine using the stock 327 factory engine stands with matching ES mounts. I have the Swaptech adapters flipped over.

[IMG][/IMG]
Your looks very close to mine in clearance. My motor is at the GM SBC OEM angle (4*).

Could be an NC thing.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I love the drop but will be raising my springs an inch. I'm going to check the angles next weekend when I'm installing my SC&C control arms. I hate being able to work on the car only once a week.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I seriously might go with mids. What do you guys think of the BRP mids?
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=CNV1
Old 11-01-2011, 03:56 AM
TECH Addict

Rp0029= The mids will prolly be the easiest solution if your Dynatechs hang that low. I would do something different if I was in your position. Have you called Dynatech to see if they have any suggestions? How thick are your adapter plates? Which engine stand/mount combination are you using? You stated earlier that the transmission was at 2 degrees, if that is the case then the engine should be the same. Did you check it with the car level? I would double check it with the car sitting on all fours at the water pump or the crank pulley.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I have the swaptech adjustable plates, which are 3/8" thick, and the stands/frames from my camaro (I think it was originally a 327). I used part no. 2142 motor mounts. The swaptech plates are set at 1" back. I think my engine is just lower than everyone else's because of my frame stands and the engine being set back. Mids seem like the solution, but we will see what the future holds. We'll see how high up the spring spacers take the car. If I go that route I'll probably install them when I install a stall converter. Much like future, I didn't have the foresight to install a higher stall when I put up my tranny. How smart!

Luckily I don't have the expense of a wife or kids so I don't get bitched at for throwing all of my disposable income at this freaking car. Despite the expense (or maybe because of it) I have a feeling it is going to be really special when I'm done. I'd say I'm 10-15 grand in into the swap (including a $2000 14 bolt 9.5" truck rear end, denny's driveshaft, 4l80e, and new interior pieces), and I still need to tune it, paint it and put in an AC.

Speaking of money well spent, check out what I got in the mail yesterday:
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also Tony and future did you guys use the autokraft /champ pan? Mine hangs below the front frame. Do yours?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

I have the Moroso pan. It is about flush with the sub.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Autokraft plates and pan. No it doesn't hang below subframe, maybe flush or an 1/8 above.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well gentlemen, I have decided I want to try to keep the Dynatech headers. My angles must be way off - I can't measure right now because the car isn't on the ground (installing suspension). I can jack the transmission up to where the exhaust raises up about 3/4 inches. So the plan will be to install taller engine mounts/frame stands and try to make the engine raise about an inch or two. Then I will jack up the transmission and weld the POS cross member together (not to the frame, don't worry) - this should raise it another 3/4 inches. The goal is to get 3 inches of clearance from the lowest point on the exhaust - at least. It's not great, but at least it would be DRIVABLE.
The obvious problem is that there is only about an inch or two between the cross member and the exhaust. It's gonna be close. If I could find a ready made cross member for the 4l80e in my 68 aside from PATC I would. That PATC crossmember is crap. Maybe I'll put in some spring spacers in the front.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Well gentlemen, I have decided I want to try to keep the Dynatech headers. My angles must be way off - I can't measure right now because the car isn't on the ground (installing suspension). I can jack the transmission up to where the exhaust raises up about 3/4 inches. So the plan will be to install taller engine mounts/frame stands and try to make the engine raise about an inch or two. Then I will jack up the transmission and weld the POS cross member together (not to the frame, don't worry) - this should raise it another 3/4 inches. The goal is to get 3 inches of clearance from the lowest point on the exhaust - at least. It's not great, but at least it would be DRIVABLE.
The obvious problem is that there is only about an inch or two between the cross member and the exhaust. It's gonna be close. If I could find a ready made cross member for the 4l80e in my 68 aside from PATC I would. That PATC crossmember is crap. Maybe I'll put in some spring spacers in the front.
For what its worth, you can modify a factory TH400 cross member. That should give you the clearnace you need.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.crossmembers.com/shop/pro...roducts_id=141

http://xfactorcrossmembers.com/shop....roduct=1717795

I'm going with one of these as the PATC member would hit my exhaust. Anyone have any experience with either?

Quick Reply: Dynamax headers scrape in lowered first gens!