Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness questions: Car Vs. Truck pinout.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harness questions: Car Vs. Truck pinout.

I am about ready to start on my swap into a 66 Pontiac LeMans. I was going to start by going through my 99 truck harness.

I have read the FAQ's and I think I understand what people do with the harnesses. However, I have a few questions I would like some clarification on.
  1. In a few of the wiring threads that are stickied it seems people pull all the wires out of the red and blue ECM connectors and change the positions of them around to match a F-body ECM. Are people changing them for a reason?
  2. If I already have a truck ECM and I am planning on a turbo setup, couldn't I just leave the wires I use in the existing spots and have someone tune the truck ECM with HP Turners?

If this has been posted previously please link me to the thread if you could, I tried searching and came up empty handed.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along. There is a HUGE wealth of knowledge here!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No reason at all to change the wires around. Just use the truck PCM and harness and it will work the same.

You just want to remove the wires you will not use. Things like: AC, EGR, EVAP, Rear o2's, AIR, etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could only think of a few reason to repin the harness/ECM.. going from a 97-98 to a new 99+ F-Body ECM, Reflashing from a Truck to a F-Body program, ... in general.. those type of reasons.. !?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK thanks guys
Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
Could only think of a few reason to repin the harness/ECM.. going from a 97-98 to a new 99+ F-Body ECM, Reflashing from a Truck to a F-Body program, ... in general.. those type of reasons.. !?
How about rebuilding the cheapest harness you could get your hands on to custom fit a hybrid engine without a half dozen adapter harness bits

Stock harnesses blow. If you're the type that just repinned the body connectors and added a fuseblock, then more power to you, but know there are better, cleaner installs after some time investment

Quick Reply: Harness questions: Car Vs. Truck pinout.