Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 k!0 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 k!0 swap.

I have a 1986 chevrolet 4x4 that i would like to put a 5.3L in. I need som help with what parts to use. It is a granny low 4spd which i would like to keep so i need to know what clutch and flywheel combination to use. as well as motor mounts and if i should keep it fuel injected or get a carburated setup.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you got money and time go fuel injected, but if want the same power and a cheap easy swap go carbed. By going carbed you will be able to focus on other parts of the swap (mounting engine, trans, etc.) because by going carbed all you need is 3 simple parts...1. Edlebrock/GMPP Carb intake, 2. MSD 6LS, and 3. Carb of your choice (better to have at least a 670cfm).

Check out my build thread "1981 berlinetta budget build" it has the entire parts list you will need to bang some gears behind that LS motor. Good luck man!

Oh yea when i comes to motor mounts you will probably be best served to go with the universal mounts that you weld in your self. just mock the engine up with an engine crane and see where your at, you can probably retain the stock truck oil pan, which most of have to ditch in cars like camaros, chevelles, and novas.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM

thanks for the info. whatclutch setup will i use or is it just the stock one.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm assuming it's a muncie truck trans. The truck bell housings look as big as a 621 so that sohould fit ok.
Also assuming 10 spline clutch.
This should help.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html
Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Doing the same thing. Actually. 86 4x4 and all.

I bought a complete 5.3 from an 04 silverado, with everything; accessories, belts, wiring harness, everything.

Harness sent out to LSX performance to be reworked. They programmed the computer and redid the wiring, turned out excellent and easy to work with. Everything labeled, very well done.

Flywheel for four speed. This is where I'm at. sachs nfw1050. Suppose to work so you can use a regular clutch that came with you're truck. In the process of figuring out of the stock 12" clutch will fit. If not, its been proven an 11" will fit no problem. Bellhousing should work, since its already in the truck and fits the same pattern on the block.

Fuel system - a high pressure in-tank or in-line fuel pump, with an 2002 corvette fuel filter/regulator to knock the pressure down to what it needs to be.

Dirty dingo motor mounts, specifically made for our trucks.

Time and patience, but that should be the just of it. Oh, and you're exhaust.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:39 PM

Thamks guys. this will help alot for a good start.