Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal Stops for T56 Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Stops for T56 Install?

I saw the answer to this question somewhere a few days ago, but one hour in front of the computer has not revealed its location today. 1972 Chevelle, LS3 376/480 Crate, T56 yanked from a 1998 WS6. I am using the WS6 stock clutch master, mated to a 2001 F-body slave cylinder, stock pedal setup. I did not install any stops for the clutch pedal movement. When I tested it ont he bench, it only moved about 1.25" before it stopped. I saw somewhere where someone welded some stops on their pedal assembly to restrict the clutch pedal movement further then 1.25". Said he "went through a few slave cylinders" before he determined that his pedal was moving too far forward. The pedal stops all by itself after about 1.25" of movement on my setup. I assume that is because the piston in the master is bottoming out. My question - should the piston in the master be restricting movement past 1.25", or should I weld some tabs on the pedal bracket assy? Once I get in the car and start driving it in a few years, I am sure the pressure of my foot on the clutch pedal will far exceed that which I can recreate on the bench. I don't want to be replacing a bunch of parts. What have you all done?

TJ Ringlein
US AIR FORCE
Scott AFB, IL

1972 Chevelle
LS3 376/480 T56
Too many other mods to list...
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The F-Body Master should only travel 1"....

this is what I did.The rubber and bolt is a Hood adjuster....:

Old 12-17-2011, 05:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen people use small universal bump stops from Energy Suspension on the pedal, and the idea above works great too!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I installed the T56 and made the pedal mods about 3-4 years ago and never gave much thought to controlling the clutch pedal travel distance. Air Force keeps moving me around and sending me to hot and sandy places, so the project has been ongoing since Aug 2006. I got on AutoCAD last night and designed something I think will work well. Stole the idea from bczee using the hood adjuster bolt (had an extra), but am going to fab up a bracket to mount it to the pedal mount assy. I will let you know how it goes.
TJR
Old 12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rinkys.. no problem on stealing my setup or idea.. let us know what you come up with.. Hope you can get that project finish when your back home.

and thanks for being in the Services..

BC

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Stops for T56 Install?