Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 to 4L60e swap help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH400 to 4L60e swap help

I bought a 69 firebird with a 5.3L and a Th400. The engine broke so I have the engine and trans out now. I would like to upgrade to an overdrive. Can someone point me in the direction of some info on what it will take to swap? My harness already has the circular trans connection and the speed sensor connection.

I have spent hours searching though peoples build threads and haven't really found much info. I keep coming up with people going the other way (4l60e to th400). I have a few questions.

Can I use the same shifter?
Can I use the same flywheel?
I went to look at a 4L60e locally today and noticed a controller looking thing connected to the shifter. What is this and do I need it if I am running with a Gen III 5.3L ECM?
Anything else i might need to know?

Thanks ahead.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding the connectors on the side of the transmission near the shifter, no, you dont need them to run the transmission. You will have to make sure your PCM tune is setup for an electronic automatic transmission and the gear ratio and tire size are programmed correctly.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

Great thanks. I was concerned because I didn't expect to see anything extra.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Can I use the same shifter or will I need to get a different one?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

any help
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Hi! I have a 68 Chevelle that I am toying with the idea of swaping the gas chugging bbc427/t10 to 6.0/4l60. I have been lurking here and on chevelles.com gaining knowledge in hopes of having a logical budget and to prevent those bank busting suprises from stalling such a project. I don't no what shifter you have but Lokar sales a kit for the collum shift and OPG, Year One, others to have a kit for the horse shoe shifters that includes plastic lence(4 forward gears), linkage adapter, and a few other small pieces. At least I no they have these for chevelles from the research I have done but this is a popular swap so I am sure one of these companies will have what you need.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjku79
Can I use the same shifter or will I need to get a different one?
Depends on what shifter you have currently. Is it an aftermarket one or factory? If it is factory then refer to Roman's post, as there are kits to make it work for late model 4 spd autos. If aftermarket, some are interchangeable like the prostick from B&M that has a plate you change out to go from 3 - 4 spd. Others dont change out and if you have one that doesn't, you will in fact need a new shifter.

Quick Reply: TH400 to 4L60e swap help