Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 El _ Camino Factory Harness or aftermarket??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 El _ Camino Factory Harness or aftermarket??

Hey guys, starting my swap and I just got my engine. LS3 out of a Vette with everything from radiator to flex plate. I got the factory ECU and all the wiring accessories etc. My main question is. Since I got the factory harness is it a pain to use this when doing a swap over buying an aftermarket harness? Seems like the harness is basically plug it in to al the sensors, plug into the ecu and go, but I could very easily be wrong. I'm not afraid to spend money but I don't want to spend it on things I don't need. Any advice would be great. I have skimmed a lot of the build projects and some people go aftermarket and some go factory. Just looking for opinions from people who have been there and done that. I've built many cars but this is my first LS swap and I know how valuable talking to people who have been there is. Please no flaming. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All depends on you. If you have the time to spend then there is nothing wrong with using the factory harness. It is not difficult to modify it but it does take a fair bit of time probably around 20hrs.

It just involves striping the old harness down removing all the wires you do not need and rerouting it for whereever you want to put the ECM. If you want the ECM inside the cab that usually involves Depinning the ECM connectors but that is not difficult either just make sure to label and document.

There are some very nice aftermarket harnesses around if you would rather spend the 800ish than the time to do it yourself. You have lots of options:
ChaseBays has a very nice looking one but high end on price
PSI posts on here a lot and seems very reasonably priced.
lots of others as well.

I did mine and honestly about 75% of the way through I was wishing I had just paid Chase to do it simply because of the tedious time consuming nature of the work
Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go with an aftermarket harness, I would recommend PSI. They have sold a lot of harnesses to people on here and I have yet to see a post from anyone that was unhappy with their work.