Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar XK8 LS1 Conversion- Now California Smog Legal!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Jaguar XK8 LS1 Conversion- Now California Smog Legal!!

Just a little update from Andrew at Jaguar Specialties. Our Jaguar XK8-LS1 prototype car has now passed the California referee emissions testing and is fully legal to register and drive here, just as any other car. The car was inspected and approved after just one visit to the test station (which is unusual, but not unheard of). This is a major milestone for this project and shows without a doubt that the conversion is viable, and can be legal, likely anywhere in the US (California is probably the toughest state to deal with as far as engine conversions)

If you're not familiar with California's engine change rules, read on- you might find it interesting

To be legal in California, engine conversions on vehicles later than 1975 need to be inspected and approved by a state run station for emissions compliance (The BAR referee). Without this approval the car can't be registered (or re-registered) to be driven on the street. This is a pretty involved process with some very strict guidelines:

1) The replacement engine has to be as new as the car or newer
2) Only car engines can be used in cars; no truck engines, etc.,.
3) All of the emissions-related parts originally supplied on the engine must be used, and the only aftermarket parts allowed are those that have been certified (by the aftermarket manufacturer) as emissions compliant for California (with an "EO" number, provided by the state)
4) Only the transmission originally supplied with the particular engine can be used.
5) All emissions systems must work as original- there also must be a visible check engine light and standard diagnostic connector
6) The exhaust system (including the original cats supplied with the engine) must be the same configuration as originally supplied- no switching single exhaust to duals, etc.,. Also, for OBD2 cars (96 and later) only the original cats or California approved aftermarket units (for that particular application- year/model/make) are allowed. No generic cats are allowed.

For OBD 2 cars, 1996-2000 models are allowed up to 2 emissions monitors to not be set; 2001 and later models are allowed only a maximum of 1 monitor not set. This car with a 2004 engine was only allowed 1 monitor not set.

Once the car is inspected and approved, the station applies a special sticker and then the car can go through the standard emissions testing (done every 2 years) at any regular emissions test station.

This car itself, in fully emissions compliant form, runs great, and any GM dealer or regular shop can service or repair it as needed.

Attached are a few pics the car and the sticker that shows it's legal....

Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice going.. I look from time to time to see what it would take to make a smog legal swap..

can you fill us in on what had to do for some of the external sensor (gas tank pressure, level, etc).

Also, I beleive that you can use light duty truck engine from what I have read from other artical and the Cal DMV sites.. cause light duty truck has the same emission standards as a car.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

BC
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I don't have to deal with that, I have a question, if I were to drive my Nissan 240, with a LS1, to CA, and got pulled over would I get crap by the officer since my car doesn't meet CA regulations, or only CA registered cars have to deal with CA regulations, just asking because I plan on staying a couple months near LA. And for some info, there's cats on the car, they're gutted, and you can definitely notice there's no evap system, tank is mounted in the trunk, and i vent the motor to atmosphere.

Sorry for the off topic question

Awesome car, pretty clean, sucks you had to spend time on making it CA smog legal,
Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Only cars registered in CA have to adhere to CA smog regulations.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Default Truck motors in cars

I actually just called the BAR about this today and they confirmed the rules are still no truck engines into cars. If you have some other info that says differently, I'd really like to see it. The link you had there didn't seem to work....

Thanks

Andrew
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the-jag-guy
I actually just called the BAR about this today and they confirmed the rules are still no truck engines into cars. If you have some other info that says differently, I'd really like to see it. The link you had there didn't seem to work....

Thanks

Andrew
I've also heard you can use light-duty truck engines in cars but don't have any links. I think if you do a search in this thread you may find it. Also I believe a member on these boards works in the smog department (not sure what he does exactly) and has said you can use a light-duty truck motor.

Edit:: Found a link for you Clicky
Look specifically at BlueMagicSS' posts
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup.. post #19.. is BlueMagicSS finding on his research with at BAR tech.

This is always a issue.. cause when it comes time to do the Cert.. your at the mercy of the Tech doing the Cert and what HIS Understanding of the Law, rules and policy are. That is why they alway said to talk to as many the cert techl, and when you find one that has your answers and a good understanding along with willing to work with you and help you out. .use him !

BC
Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Funny that I googled this XJ8 LS swap and found this thread so easily.. The moms recently annihilated the 4.0 in her '00 XJ8 and I was considering a 4th gen LS swap (LS2/LS3) and I didn't think there was any kit or guidance readily available to do so. On top of that, by the looks of your contact number you are local (408 area code?) This may be an expensive discovery, LOL.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Default XJ8 XK8 LS Swap..............

Yup, you can do the conversion now and have a running driving LS Jag.....

We're in Los Gatos- get in touch for more info....

Thanks

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com
Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Which test station did you use, i'm in the south bay too. A coworker has an XJ that might be a good candidate. What kind of paperwork do they need for the new powertrain?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice conversion....what a bunch of stupid rules. So if the engine block comes from a lets say Escalade, its no good. Even if it is essentially the same as the one you used, right?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chaman
Nice conversion....what a bunch of stupid rules. So if the engine block comes from a lets say Escalade, its no good. Even if it is essentially the same as the one you used, right?
You could use a block from a different vehicle. Say an new truck block.
And cert it as a new camaro. But you'd need receipts for all the parts that you swaped over to camaro specs. - pistons, cams, etc....

I want 243 heads for my LS1 swap, but I'm waiting to see what the "test only" shop the state said I had to go to this year looks at.
I'm pretty sure the BAR tech will look at casting numbers though. I'm hoping the smog tech doesn't.
So in theory, I could bore a 5.3 to a 5.7 and but all 5.7 parts in it.
It's cheaper than a al. block when you can find one separate.
Same as if you cert'd something as a 6.0 car. You could use a 6.0 truck block. I'm thinking about this for my S10. But GTO parts are expensive....And I'm bummed about the tranny deal. Not looking forward to sticking a 60e in when I have/need an 80E.

Last edited by TurboS10; 04-23-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

That's one of my main concerns (transmission). Will they actually get down or put the car on the lift to check what transmission is in it? I don't want to stuff a cammed LS2 into a 4k+ pound vehicle and stick a damn 60E in it. If I do the swap I definitely want a 80e in there.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Default What they actually check....

My referee did not check casting numbers, nor put the car on a lift and check the trans, nor any of that. They'll want to know the VIN of the donor car to check that it's the correct year, weight class, etc.,. That info should also be in the ECM.

They checked that all of the original emissions pieces were there as they should be stock, that any aftermarket emissions related pieces were California approved (my K&N intake was Ca legal and I had the sticker to prove it), that the computer was the right model (scanned it) and they checked to see that there were no codes. Also, 6 of the 7 emissions monitors needed to be set and ready. For pre-2004 cars (or in this case donor engine) you can have as many as 2 monitors not ready. The exhaust has to be the same basic configuration as the donor originally had, and with either the original donor cats, or California approved aftermarket pieces (there were none for the GTO)

For a street driven car like this that doesn't do any towing, and maybe even a few trips to the drags, I'm not sure why anyone would go to the added expense, complexity, and weight of a 4L80E. The 1/2 ton trucks with a decent towing capacity are running 4L60E or 4L65E's. What more do we need to know??

Simpler is better...

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

The 1/2 ton trucks with a decent towing capacity are running 4L60E or 4L65E's. What more do we need to know??
Andrew please explain in basic terms what the torque management routine in the LSx 4L6xE based applications does. And in your opinion why GM did that.

I will agree that the 65E is adequate for the typical jaguar owner and is a good choice in this application.

But not for anything more than a LS1 with minor bolt ons. And certainly not for 2 of my 3 vehicles.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Default 4L60E, etc.,.

Sorry, I have no idea about anything related to torque management in the transmission programming. This thread was ( I thought) related to emission inspections on conversions, and our experiences with this particular Jag.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

4l60, 65, and 70 are more alike than different. A SOLID build on any of them will be fine unless you're abusing it or towing like a work crew. Truly, unless you're running more than 600hp and pounding on it, a properly built unit above will do fine. Yes, the 4L80 is better but you pay for it in a number of ways. Same goes for the 6L80 and 6L90 +1. Jag with a properly built 60 is good...properly built.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Wow, nice work.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XK8 LS1 Conversion- Now California Smog Legal!!