Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Datsun 521, carb 5.3 swap SEMA project

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1971 Datsun 521, carb 5.3 swap SEMA project

Well here it is, My 2012 SEMA project, 1971 datsun 521, 18/20" Intro Wheels 20x10 rears with 4" backspace (6"+ lip in the rear), narrowed 04 Yukon Denali rear end with disk brakes, Suspension by Slaughter House Customs and WeCutIT.com, Paint and body by Scott Rupp and Justin Berry of Kustom Works Auto Body, Sponsored by: Ryan's Sheetmetal designs, Intro wheels, Best Automotive, Keg-media, Maxxed wheels and suspension, Kinetik, Lokar, Auto-loc, and Beebani Customs, so far. Of course im swapping over all my parts that i had for the pathy, flaming river column, mustang 2 rack(maybe), full rewire with ezwiring.com harness, Accuair SwitchSpeed setup with VU-4 valve manifold, 5.3l LS motor carb'd, 700r4, f.o.a off road shocks, and im sure that i am forgetting somethings right now too.

heres the rendering by Keg-Media.com

heres how it used to look,

this hood graphic isnt shown in the rendering but will be one the truck, if i can keep the hood with the motor swap. lol

and heres a current pics, mostly bodyworked, Scott already has the fender and door for body work, and will be getting the bed soon.

None of the below pics will ever look like this again. lol

Scott will have most the body soon while the suspension is being built, hes shaving a few things and just getting it all ready to paint, after the suspsnsion is done, he will finish the body work and then its going to a buddied hot rod shop to wire and plumb the motor and get it running. from there its going back to scott to do the final assembly and all paint. this truck will be finished and will be at SEMA parked next to my buddys 720, we will be the only 2 lil datsuns in the Truckin lineup. lol. Wheels will be here any day and ill post pics when they arrive. Then i have to narrow the axle and then its straight to get the suspension done. Should have fairly regular updates since everything is being done within 30 miles of my house.

i actually have more updates that ill post later.

i do have some questions. my motor is an 06 truck 5.3, im not running p/s or a/c, ive read about swapping it over to corvette water pump, balancer, and alternator bracket(to drop it down to the bottom), im wondering what year corvette parts to use?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Ryan's SheetMetal Designs is gonna kill it on my interior. heres one door panel done so far. all hidden hardway and mount like factory. cant wait to see what he does for my dash

heres his facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ryans-...76417162419804

Scott is already hard at work on fixing the fender and door....

Beebani Machining my adapters

Adapters done

For the motor and trans pulled today.

All cleared ii ready for the new motor

Old Datsun motor up front. New Datsun motor in the back.

04 denali complete rear end, 3.42 gear, disk brakes, so they sent me one without calipers or brackets, sbut have already sent me a new one...... this one measures about 59" from hub to hub, the stock datsun one is about 48" from drum to drum, and id have to narrow the stock one down.... so im looking at somewhere between 12-18" per side of the yukon rear end that has to be cut and narrowed. also go a call from intro and my wheels are a lil behind now, so they will ship out to me late this week. so probably wont have them till the next week.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

stuff that motor in there already!!!! LOL!!!

this is going to be such a BADASS little truck when it's done.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Trust me im tryign to get there. Trying to figure out what all i need for to change on the acc drive belt setup on it. Its going to the suspension shop in the next week or so(as soon as my wheels get here and i can narrow the axle) then while its there hes going to build the mounts to make it fit in the truck
Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy had one of these here in Corpus Christi a cream matte color show truck. It made me fall in love with these lil trucks!! Some day maybe ill have one till then Ill admire yours lol!!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Nice any updates?

Quick Reply: 1971 Datsun 521, carb 5.3 swap SEMA project