Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Firebird: Considering LS1 and 4L60 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 Firebird: Considering LS1 and 4L60 Swap

Hey everybody. I've been lurking for a while, trying to soak up as much info as possible on this forum.

I'm thinking about doing an LS1 and transmission swap on my '77 Firebird Esprit. It's a pretty run of the mill Bird so I don't feel bad about modifying it. Especially since the stock 350 Olds is pretty weak and still eats gas. Hell, my woman's 2010 V6 Mustang has more ***** than this sucker and gets better MPGs!

I live in California, so I know that I'll have to do drop in a pretty much stock LS1 to pass inspection and emissions. Since I want to keep this car as my daily driver I'm sure I'll be happy with that set up anyway. I'm looking for a fun street car and don't need crazy amounts of power. Basically, I'm looking for any advice, suggestions and links to help me plan and execute in the smartest and most painless way possible.

My first real question is: What are the advantages and disadvantages of getting engine and tranny from a donor car vs buying them new? (Besides cost!)

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

i would do it for sure. best thing about a doner car other than the cost is that you know you have everything in 1 shot. you dont place 100 orders or so many runs to the parts store because you keep forgetting to buy something. you have all the sensors, the wiring, the computers, gas pedal, hoses, tubes, etc. just a little easier and much cheaper. like half the price if not more.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

dis advantage is that the motor has miles on it and you dont know the driving the person did, if they beat on it or not, changed the oil on times, etc. good luck! i look forward to a build thread!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:51 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,086 Posts

First of all Brian, cool car! There are far more disadvantages of buying used parts, (other than cost) but one nice point is that you get to see the engine/tranny together, and it has been ran that way, so there is no researching to find spacers, flywheels, converters, etc.
You'd like to see engine run before you buy it, so condition is a concern. If the yard or individual will let you start it before its pulled, then by all means, do it. Also, take some pics. Zap as many as you can, before its pulled, of the ecm, and related harness locations. Make sure you are buying a complete pull out, meaning that it comes with ecm, harness, and all accessories. If the tranny is controlled by a seperate tcm, then make sure you get it also. If there is a tcm, for the pedal assembly, then grab it also. You can often find all of this for a really low price compared to new units, literally saving you thousands of dollar$.
The major advantantage of buying new stuff is you know that what you are buying is new and has a warranty. I personally bought my ly6 used, but i got to see it run, via facetime/skype, before the purchase. I guess this all boils down to the old saying...how much do you want to spend?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the LS platform and power isn't the major concern, I would source a 5.3 motor from a respectable salvage company. They usually will give you a warranty and stated mileage so you know what you're buying. 5.3 motors are significantly less than a LS1 and power isn't far off of an LS1. It will also have a lot more power than that Olds and mpg should be in the low 20's, maybe a little higher on the long hauls. Keep the AC and enjoy super smooth EFI technology. Lots of info on here, just ask.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I'm still new to working on cars having spent most of my adult life in NYC. So I'll be hitting you all up with questions as I move forward with this project.

2nd Gen Fl 'bird, I'm interested learning more about the 5.3 motor. Can you post some link where I can find out more? Thanks!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Nice car I'm doing a LS in my 79 bird as well. Way more extreme then yours lol but it's all good. You will love this swap when its done.

Last edited by Rick Speed; 04-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Rick Speed, I'm pretty limited by the eco-***** here in California. Also I need something a little more practical since this is my only car. I'm only getting 12 mpgs and it's almost all highway from my house to work. Spending over $300 a month on gas sucks... Luckily I have two co-workers to carpool with for now.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.3 info

Go to your local book store and buy a "How to build/swap LS motor" type book. That will give you basics on the LS motor and how interchangeable they are. Search this forum with key words and read what people have done with their swaps. I'd give you a few links but, there are so many out there. Always ask what's the best way to this and you'll get a multitude of answers, just research and decide which way you want to go.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Cool. I just got that book. Once I know which way this new California Senate bill on emissions goes I'll dive in. Once again thanks to all who posted!

B
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bow auto parts in New Hampshire (they have an Ebay store) is where I got my swap engine from. I paid $450+$100 for shipping and the engine is exactly what they said it was. They really stand behind there parts too. I also have schematics if you need them. Tey sent me everything excepy O2 sensors and MAF. I love my little 4.8 and I'm sure I will love it even more once the twins are on!!!

Quick Reply: 1977 Firebird: Considering LS1 and 4L60 Swap