Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LQ4 Turbo Build

Okay, so I'm thinking about ditching the LT1 in my 95 Firebird with an lq4. I want to run 600hp on a stock bottom end and run low 11's on the quarter. I have a tight budget. My vehicle services instructor told me it'll cost $6,000 minimum to swap in an lq4. I'm thinking I could maybe do it for $2800-$3100 (before turbo). That is if I do everything myself and get the parts for cheap. What's the best route without breaking the bank? Should I get a used LQ4 out of a truck (max of 110k miles)? Should I get a used short block (Going to be changing heads, intake, cam, exhaust, ect.)? My teacher told me to get a short block from Texas Speed for $3,800. I think that's a bit much. Also, what heads and cam do you suggest for a turbo application? For breathers, I'm thinking either twin 76mm or twin 88mm for better street spool. Also, what do I need to get it hooked up to the T56? I'm going with a stage 2 rebuild. What's the max hp CAN I run on a stock bottom end, and what SHOULD I run for street use? What would I need to do for mounting the turbo? I want a Victor EFI intake with a low profile elbow. What would I need to do for timing and fuel?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you wont make 600 HP on a stock t56 or your rear, theyll both shatter like glass. also your LT1 transmission is NOT going to bolt directly up to an LS engine without fabricating/adapting.
Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick 2.

Quick Reply: LQ4 Turbo Build