Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum source for charcoal canister on LS3 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vacuum source for charcoal canister on LS3 intake?

I need to send the charcoal canister smells forward into the engine; don't have the evap system from factory. So do I need to send it to a vacuum source, and if so, is the port with the red cap in 2nd picture a good destination? If not, where to dump it? I think my only other vacuum source is the brake source on back of the manifold. Appreciate your counsel.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum source for charcoal canister on LS3 intake?-charcoal-canister.jpg   Vacuum source for charcoal canister on LS3 intake?-vacuum-port-.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's where its at on a ls1 intake, imagine that would be it, I wouldn't run constant vacuum to the canister, I would run a purge valve with the ecm giving the signal to turn on and off, if you don't have the factory evap system then why are you trying to keep evap, if the evap system is turned off vent the tank outside.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Any vacuum applied to the canister would also be applied to the tank, not sure there is cause to do that. I'm just going to vent mine to atmospheric pressure via the charcoal canister, applying neither pressure nor vacuum to it.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You should keep the purge solenoid and it's control with the ecu if you're venting to the intake. Otherwise I would suggest vent to the inlet tube before the MAF. With a combination of different tank, gas cap, vapor condensor, canister, etc, you dont want unmetered air flowing into the intake as a vacuum leak all the time.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That sounds like a pretty good idea.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
You should keep the purge solenoid and it's control with the ecu if you're venting to the intake. Otherwise I would suggest vent to the inlet tube before the MAF. With a combination of different tank, gas cap, vapor condensor, canister, etc, you dont want unmetered air flowing into the intake as a vacuum leak all the time.
OK, I added the canister output in front of the MAF, and the PCV fresh air source after the MAF.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum source for charcoal canister on LS3 intake?-intake-w-ports.jpg  
Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed the EVAP solonoid, and then connected the vent line from the Tank to the Carcoal Canister, then the port on the Can that is marked Vac to the EVAP port on the Intake for a vacumn.
I plugged the port that is marked PCV, I let the vapor disapate through the carcoal canister. I know I should be connecting that canister port to the PCV tube to let it get sucked in while driving. manybe one of these days. But I am to lazy to go and get a tee to connect it into the larger PCV tubing.

BC

Quick Reply: Vacuum source for charcoal canister on LS3 intake?