Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 3.8 swap to 97 lt1 need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 3.8 swap to 97 lt1 need advice

Hello new member here, I know these questions have been over asked and there's info out there on it but there's some information I just can't seem to find. To start out I have a 97' Camaro with the 3.8 5 speed. My question is, I found a wrecked 97' z28 Camaro with the LT1 engine which I'm wondering how hard of a swap this would be? Considering I have a donor car which has been hit in the front end which leads me to be unsure if the K-member is in decent shape. But anyways does anyone know if this would be plug and play, or would I have a lot of re wiring to do to make this work? Also the donor car is an auto I was wanting to do a 6 speed set-up would that make the swap harder? Would the auto computer even be compatible? If you're wondering I have access to a shop with all the tools I would ever need other than a lift, but I'm assuming it's possible to get the rear of the car high enough then use a cherry picker to pick up the front end up then roll the whole K-member out? Thanks for any help, all advice is welcome. (I re-posted this in the correct section.) Also I know it would be a lot less work and money effective to just sell my car and buy a z28 but after I just worked hard to paint my car doing all the work myself it's kind of hard to part with it if you know what I mean.

Last edited by MillerWhiteMaro; 06-15-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Do some searching. There was a thread on this a few days ago. If you have a donor car, it should be fairly simple. The 6 speed shouldn't change things much (other than your budget). I don't think the auto PCM will be happy, but it should at least start the car without a reflash.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Found it

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ease-help.html
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 PM

Thanks man. I have really truthfully done a lot of searching over the past 3 months and it just came to the point to after all that searching I couldn't find a person doing the swap between two cars and with the exact same years of car. But I will keep trying to search and see if I can't find a thread of someone thinking like I am. I might just end up modding my slow 3.8 to save myself all the headache. Anyone know how much the pacesetter headers actually help? Hp wise? And maybe a mild cam? The only thing I don't like about the 3.8 is the torque, I would like to have some more get up and go power. I could care less about speed, just want more of that take off power.

Quick Reply: 97 3.8 swap to 97 lt1 need advice