Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 Chevelle LQ4/T56 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Looks good, nice work! At the rate your moving, you should have this project finished soon.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Great progress. Looks like you have plenty of room for a supercharger in there! A shame to waste all of that space.
hahah dont think at hasnt crossed my mind... the ls1 intake swap was a lot cheaper for now. the supercharger will come later down the road! lol
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Default wiring harness

well i got my nose back apart, primed, and back together and started on my wiring harness. not much ambition after work today so i decided to post on here what i have so far.

this is what i started with...

if that wasnt enough to discourage a person from doing this swap i dont think there is anything that can! lol

everything unplugged, untangled, and labeled. that looks a lot less scary.

after getting the engine in the car i plugged everything back in and started removing the wire loom. originally i was planning on just buying a new harness. then i found out how expensive they were. so after a few hours of research on this awesome forum and LT1swap.com i decided i was going to jump in with both feet and convert it to standalone and remove all the b.s. in the harness that i wasnt using anymore.

after all the wire loom was off i spread the harness out on the garage floor and started untangleing. after a couple hours on the floor i decided to hang it from the garage track

from there the garage got too cold and the concrete floor got too hard so i moved to my bedroom. lol

again kinda scary...

and then my bedroom got too small so i moved to the living room... haha mom wasnt too happy about this one!

everything i removed from my harness that wasnt needed

with the nose assembled i started plugging everything in again and rerouting all the wires the way i want.

this is where i left off...

instead of using individual relay holders and a small exposed fuse block with like 4 fuses in it that i couldnt really think of any good way to make it look clean, i got a hold of this

Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went the modified factory harness route myself. However I was too chicken to take it down as far as you did.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 12-12-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Great thread. I am also doing a ground up rebuild and I wish I could work as fast as you! Is that a hydroboost brake booster on your car? I am trying to figure out which vehicles came with hydroboosts so I can raid one at a boneyard.

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
I went the modified factory harness myself. However I was to chicken to take it down as far as you did.
When I bought my motor it came with a modified harness from speartech.....THANK GOD! If I had that wiring job ChevyMan had I would have lost my mind.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The wiring is the most intimidating part of the swap. After I got going it only took me a week of evenings to get it all sorted and loomed. I plan to go back ad reroute a few things to clean up some excess and make thing fit better. the time is in striping out the non essential items and soldering and heat shrinking at the fuse/relay panel.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Drednot
Great thread. I am also doing a ground up rebuild and I wish I could work as fast as you! Is that a hydroboost brake booster on your car? I am trying to figure out which vehicles came with hydroboosts so I can raid one at a boneyard.
yes it is. engine, harness and hydroboost set up all came out of a 2004 chevrolet express van. i also know my buddies 2003 duramax has the same hydroboost set up. so check into the 2500 series and 3500 series pickups.

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
The wiring is the most intimidating part of the swap. After I got going it only took me a week of evenings to get it all sorted and loomed. I plan to go back ad reroute a few things to clean up some excess and make thing fit better. the time is in striping out the non essential items and soldering and heat shrinking at the fuse/relay panel.
thats good to know because so far the wiring in all honesty hasnt been that bad. looks a lot worse than it is. its just very very time consuming.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChevyMan1989
yes it is. engine, harness and hydroboost set up all came out of a 2004 chevrolet express van. i also know my buddies 2003 duramax has the same hydroboost set up. so check into the 2500 series and 3500 series pickups.
Did you have to make a custom bracket to mount it?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

I feel you on the wiring. I just re-wired my TPI C10's engine harness wire by wire, and am now finishing up my gf's LQ4 Camaro, which was a complete chassis harness. About done with wires for a while!

BTW great work on the car, and g-body clutch linkage is hard to come by, thats a good friend to just hand you that stuff
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Drednot
Did you have to make a custom bracket to mount it?
im trying to remember off the top of my head without looking at pictures. im pretty sure the push rod going threw the firewall lined up with the top set of holes and the bottom set i either needed to oblong a tad or drill a new set of holes. the part the sticks through the firewall is just a little larger than the opening but its tapered so once i got the 4 bolts in i was able to just draw the booster in to the firewall a little at a time and get the hole to spread. the booster needed to be spaced out away from the firewall about a 1/2 i think. so what i did was make a template of the mounting surface and cut out 2 spacers plug weld them together and then bolted it in between. i have pictures of it all i was going to wait to put up untill i got all the lines run. i'll try and get them up when i get home tonight for you

Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
I feel you on the wiring. I just re-wired my TPI C10's engine harness wire by wire, and am now finishing up my gf's LQ4 Camaro, which was a complete chassis harness. About done with wires for a while!

BTW great work on the car, and g-body clutch linkage is hard to come by, thats a good friend to just hand you that stuff
haha yea def! after this im not going to want to look at another wire for a long time!

and thanks! yea he is a good freind. hes been around cars with me all our lives. he picked up a malibu wagon with a 327 and a 4 speed from the factory. hes putting a 383 stroker with a th350 so the linkage was no use to him. we help eachother out where ever we can.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks ChevyMan, wasn't trying to jump the gun.HAHA. I was gonna go to a boneyard today and look, but its cold and rainy and windy today.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a cool little fuse/relay box. What's it out of?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have an awsome build, the only thing I was concerned about was how you welded the sump to the tank. The sump should have come with a paper template. Only four 1" holes should have been drilled into the tank before the sump was welded on. The holes allow adiquate fuel to flow into the sump but also create the perfect baffling to keep the injection from sucking air on hard cornering.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

so this is what i have so far... i thought i had a few more pictures than i do.

removed from the van, removed van master cylinder and installed chevelle master cylinder. that was a direct bolt on.

i had to oblong the top 2 holes in the mounting surface of the booster to match the holes in the fire wall. after i figured out the distance way from the firewall it needed to be i made my spacer

and here is it done bolted on.

i was able to get all earls an fittings to run my lines in the braided stainless.

once the wiring is all done and secured ill run all my lines and post some more pictures. i picked up a polished aluminum power steering resevior im going to mount to the rad support that looks really clean too.

Originally Posted by Geezer's Garage
That's a cool little fuse/relay box. What's it out of?
that fuse/relay box is actually out of a boat. its out of a 2007 or newer nautique with a PCM (pleasure craft marine) engine. i work for a nautique dealer and was able to get a fuse box off a junk harness from the factory. PCM uses all vortecs and wires them very similar to how im wiring my car.

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
You have an awsome build, the only thing I was concerned about was how you welded the sump to the tank. The sump should have come with a paper template. Only four 1" holes should have been drilled into the tank before the sump was welded on. The holes allow adiquate fuel to flow into the sump but also create the perfect baffling to keep the injection from sucking air on hard cornering.
thanks. yea after i got the sump welded in the paper template fell out of the bottom of the box the sump came in. its too late now. like i said ill get the car on the road with this tank and if i end up having a problem with it ill deal with it then.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks. yea after i got the sump welded in the paper template fell out of the bottom of the box the sump came in. its too late now. like i said ill get the car on the road with this tank and if i end up having a problem with it ill deal with it then.
Sorry for bringing it up agin, I missed the post where that was covered, lol
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
Sorry for bringing it up agin, I missed the post where that was covered, lol
lol dont worry about it. i prob have 200 dollars in the whole tank set up so if i have to redo it down the road its not all that big of a deal. it just sucks because the way i did it i was able to cut slits on the end of the hole in the tank and was able to slide the flange of the sump to the inside of the tank which made for a nice clean corner weld. if i were to just do the 6 hole is the bottom it wont come out as nice. im wondering about pulling the tank back down and cutting an opening it the top where you wont see anyway. i still have the peice i cut out of the tank that i could pop those 6 holes in and just plug weld from the inside right over top of the sump. then weld up the top of the tank and undercoat again. i dont know we'll see. for now im not worrying about it.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Launching!

lol dont worry about it. i prob have 200 dollars in the whole tank set up so if i have to redo it down the road its not all that big of a deal. it just sucks because the way i did it i was able to cut slits on the end of the hole in the tank and was able to slide the flange of the sump to the inside of the tank which made for a nice clean corner weld. if i were to just do the 6 hole is the bottom it wont come out as nice. im wondering about pulling the tank back down and cutting an opening it the top where you wont see anyway. i still have the peice i cut out of the tank that i could pop those 6 holes in and just plug weld from the inside right over top of the sump. then weld up the top of the tank and undercoat again. i dont know we'll see. for now im not worrying about it.
I did just what you did to my stock tank.. I had to have about 1/2 a tank of fuel at least all the time.. I just did the impala tank swap to mine to fix it..
Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks chevyman for showing the brake m/c. I got to find one. The aftermarket hydroboosts are expensive.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

My taknk had 4 1" holes and I drive the snot out of it with no fuel problems. I also have the return line plumbed to the other side of the sump so there is always fuel going back to it.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Man you are moving right along. Good job

Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle LQ4/T56 Build