Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 Chevelle LQ4/T56 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krwyellowZ28
That intake tube looks a lot like the $69 eBay silverado intake I'm using on my '70 GTO... cheap, looks good, and works great. haha. Great build, you're doing good work... keep it up!
haha ive been waiting for someone to question the intake... yea i had to do a tune up one night on a buddies 2002 silverado and he had that intake on his truck. so i was looking at it for a sec and was like hey let me see that! lol thought the fit was pretty good so i ordered one from summit. im going to twist the lower mount so that its parallel with the inner fender and then just make up a spacer and bolt it because right now the filter is just resting on the inner fender. should work out perfect and a FRACTION of the price that anybody wants for a chevelle "swap" intake
Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

got out to the garage this week and made a lot of progress!

original radiator hold down with engine sticker

radiator installed

i didnt take any pictures of the rubber insulators. i ordered them for a big block but obviously the radiators are shaped completely different. so all i did was trim out the isulator so that there was a 3 inch flat spot in all 4 corners for it to rest against the radiator.

lower radiator hose installed

upper radiator hose installed

pretty sure this is where im going to mount my power steering resevior. i think that will look pretty good there

oil cooler block off plate out of a boat

Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Thats a nice looking radiator, what kind is it? It looks like it has a fitting for the steam pipe to go into, am I right on that?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rlgood
Thats a nice looking radiator, what kind is it? It looks like it has a fitting for the steam pipe to go into, am I right on that?
i am very pleased with it. i bought it from summit racing...

1970 CHEVROLET CHEVELLE Griffin Dominator Series Radiators
part number: 8-00008-LS

Radiator, Crossflow, Dual-Row, Aluminum, Natural, 33.25 in. x 18.62 in. 3.0 in. Thick, LS-Engine, Manual, Each

$288.39

Yes it does have a fitting in it for the vent pipe which i didnt even realize it had until i got it. makes sense tho seeing as how its a swap radiator.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Default water pump swap

Swapped from the truck waterpump to an ls1 water pump with the upper water neck down below instead of uptop. i put a throttle body spacer on the throttle body when i did the intake swap but it still didnt look like it was going to be enough to clear any sort of coolant hose. That and with the cold air intake i went with there would have been no clean way to route the upper rad hose.

stock water pump on the right, ls1 pump on the left

ls1 water pump installed and got an idea of pulley alignment.

used a 2 jaw puller to pull old pullies

removed rear cover and installed old pulley on new pump

and waa laa! lol

Old 03-22-2013, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

The radiator hoses look like a good fit. Can you post up the part numbers? It looks like the lower hose part number is cut off partially.

I also have that exact same PS reservoir, and I put it in the exact same location. I made a mounting bracket that allowed it to bolt up to the stock location of the charcoal canister.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

couple more pictures of some things i got done...

pcm holder mounted

main power harness finished and wire loomed. what a difference just that made inside the engine compartment. cant wait till the entire harness is loomed!

hydroboost brake push rod attached to brake pedal with no modification. hooked right up!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 71Fakes
The radiator hoses look like a good fit. Can you post up the part numbers? It looks like the lower hose part number is cut off partially.

I also have that exact same PS reservoir, and I put it in the exact same location. I made a mounting bracket that allowed it to bolt up to the stock location of the charcoal canister.
upper rad hose was napa #9261. that hose was prob 6 inches longer and i had to cut it down.

lower rad hose is napa #8685. i just double checked that for you. that one was a great fit. only had to take about an inch off that one.

do you have pictures up of the resevior mounted? id be really interested in seeing that!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

I got my ecm back this morning from being reflashed. thank you jon at psi conversions. very happy! put the ecm back in the car, got too excited and just fired the car up. sounded like it had a nasty cam in it. lol then i capped off all the vacuum lines so there were no longer any leaks and the idle straightened right out. she sat there and purred! just really choppy with open headers. so much motivation to keep pushing forward though. just not sure what to do next!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Awesome! Been following your thread. Throwing the ls1 in my 72 el camino this weekend. Congrats on it firing up with no problems! Good job on the wiring! My wire harness looks like a mess right now as i am tearing into it.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 70 chevelle I'm wanting to do a ls swap in and I'm curious as to how far the 6 speed hangs below the frame? I'm personally wanting to use a 4l80e but I've been told those hang really far below the frame and that's a huge problem for me.
Your 6 speed looks about level with the frame?
Anybody have measurements on how far your trans hangs below your frame rails and what transmissions y'all are using?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyMan1989
I got my ecm back this morning from being reflashed. thank you jon at psi conversions. very happy! put the ecm back in the car, got too excited and just fired the car up. sounded like it had a nasty cam in it. lol then i capped off all the vacuum lines so there were no longer any leaks and the idle straightened right out. she sat there and purred! just really choppy with open headers. so much motivation to keep pushing forward though. just not sure what to do next!
Be patient and take your time. I started a year and a half ago. Took me six months just to get the parts and get the engine in the car running N/A. Now a cam and dyno tune are all thats left.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oldscooltroy
I have a 70 chevelle I'm wanting to do a ls swap in and I'm curious as to how far the 6 speed hangs below the frame? I'm personally wanting to use a 4l80e but I've been told those hang really far below the frame and that's a huge problem for me.
Your 6 speed looks about level with the frame?
Anybody have measurements on how far your trans hangs below your frame rails and what transmissions y'all are using?

this is the best picture i could find for you. i just went out to the garage and got a couple measurements for you tho...

from the front crossmember to the floor is 12 1/2"
from the lowest point on my bellhousing is 12 3/4"
the lowest part of the actual trans is where the main trans bolts to the tail housing and that is 12 inches off the floor
then the trans crossmember is 12 3/4"

so really the lowest point of the trans only hangs down about 3/4 of an inch bellow the trans crossmember and only about a 1/2 inch lower than the front cross member
Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChevyMan1989
got my parking brake in and all my cables run. that was a little bit of a challenge but i think i came up with a pretty good way of doing it.

made 2 of my own holes in the floor bracing and ran the cable through the one hole in the trans. the cables are all plastic coated and the hole in the transis beveled on both sides. that kept everything clear and out of the way and it functions perfect
thank so much for posting this. I couldn't figure out how to run my brake cables with the t56! worked like a charm
Old 07-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Teching In

I have never seen anyone use a hydraboost in a Malibu ,, but I like it
Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

well its been a while since Ive posted anything on the forum. work has been crazy busy. finally got a chance to upload some pictures tho from the passed couple months.

Fabricated a holder for that remote power steering res.

got all my power steering lines/hydro lines ran. still have to come up with some clean mounts for them and maybe reroute a few of them. but for the most part they came out pretty clean and more importantly power steering and power brakes work great!

installed an adjustable proportioning valve on the frame rail for the rear brakes

placed a big order for sheet metal, new front fenders, door skins, and full quarters for both sides.

bodywork and prime hopefully coming in the next couple months...
Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Looks great. It's like a flashback when I saw all that sheet metal. I read that you were 24 years old when you started this project. Let me tell you that what you are doing is as nice as anyone else's with much more experience. Keep it up you'll be riding soon. Merry Christmas. Roger in Charleston.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by my70
Looks great. It's like a flashback when I saw all that sheet metal. I read that you were 24 years old when you started this project. Let me tell you that what you are doing is as nice as anyone else's with much more experience. Keep it up you'll be riding soon. Merry Christmas. Roger in Charleston.
Thanks a lot Roger! I appreciate that! I grew up in the garage restoring cars with dad. This is the first project I am doing on my own though. Seeing the kinds of things other people have done on their cars, especially yours, has set the bar high for me!

Unfortunately not much progress to report right now. starting to put a large parts list together again and getting ready to work on it now that I'm in my slow time with work. Hope to have some updates coming soon
Old 02-05-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This looked like a great build thread... too bad the picture links are broken.. maybe OP could add the pics back in?

Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle LQ4/T56 Build