Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 swap in Pro touring 67 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 swap in Pro touring 67 Chevelle

Hey everyone. Im in Michigan. Picked up a 67 chevelle a couple months ago. I have big hopes for the car. I really love this body style all laid out. And have been admiring you other guys with this car setup. It is basically bare bones as of now. Been soda blasted and quickly primed to prevent from rusting.
This will be a father son project. Although my 1 month old son wont be able to hand me any tools just yet. He will appreciate it when it becomes his. lol

My goals are for the car are as follows
-Full air ride setup to get her setting low.
-lq4 w/4l80( already have) picked up up a set of 243 heads already
-f-body oil pan( have)
-basically stole a set of 17" torq thrust from a guy on craigslist. He was asking $600. He didnt know what they were. Got them for $100!! lol. With like new g-force tires.
-Picked up a painless wire harness already.
-full custom interior. I wanna try and tackle this on my own. Always wanted to give it a try.
-A dark color, eithe a metallic black, or something along those lines
Heres the car
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is an often done swap, so the good news is that all you need to do is pick a recipe of proven parts and go. The bad news is that there are several paths you can choose to follow. Choose 1 and stay with it. Many here have done the same thing and are more than willing to offer guidance and support.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I was hoping to see if anyone had any suggestions on swap plates and headers. Would I lose much performance going with mid length headers? I don't want the headers to cause any ground clearance issues when I am cruising with the cart as low as I want it.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool car. Im doing a lq4/4l60e in my 66 sedan now.....put l92 heads and an ls3 intake on it....Hope to have running soon, working on the interior now...Dakota vhx dash,etc...good luck...
Rick
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flywheel
Cool car. Im doing a lq4/4l60e in my 66 sedan now.....put l92 heads and an ls3 intake on it....Hope to have running soon, working on the interior now...Dakota vhx dash,etc...good luck...
Rick
Awesome. Any pointers or advise? Did you buy swap plates or make your own? Did you start a thread yet?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Frame mounts #3379 www.carpartsdiscount.com
Headers Dougs, best fit out there.
Engine adapters Dougs SK100
Motor mounts Energy Suspension 3-1117G
If you are using truck accessory mounts you will most likely need to change PS pulley to Dorman 300-123.

Don't waste time with the truck pan, it wont work out well. I used Canton 13-274 with pickup 13-275 and filter mount 22-631. Don't cheap out here!!! You will regret it.
There are a host of others as well that won't require cutting the k-member.
I can supply pictures if you are interested.

I used all of the truck accessory brackets and ac compressor. You will need to do a bit of surgery on the ac bracket to clear the motor mounts, nothing that a sawzall cant take care of.
The 4L80 will take some surgery on the tunnel to make clearance, again nothing that a sawzall can't fix.

This is a tried and true recipe of parts that do play together. Check the stickies for others, just remember to stick with a proven combination.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you very much for the parts list. Very specific, I'm glad I started a thread before ordering parts. I'm glad you used the truck accessories, because I plan on doing the same. You said you used a canton oil pan. Do you think I will have an issue with the f-body pan? I already bought that, going off what I gathered from alike builds on here. Also who do you suggest me ordering the parts from. I'm sort of new to the whole car industry and don't know much about who's who. Also with the mods ive listed, and at some point I will be adding a supercherger. What size tube headers and collectors should I order? Do you happen to have a pic of how low your headers hang on this setup. Thank you very much for your help
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Canton, Moroso, Holley and Mast, offer pans that fit the chassis without cutting. The F-body requires cutting the crossmember. You can see pictures on this site. The Dougs headers are sufficient for the air flow. As far as where to buy, you can PM me.
Attached Thumbnails lq4 swap in Pro touring 67 Chevelle-004.jpg   lq4 swap in Pro touring 67 Chevelle-101_0426.jpg   lq4 swap in Pro touring 67 Chevelle-101_0430.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Little update on the car, getting somewhere with it slowly
body shop

[/QUOTE]
Old 10-06-2014, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lsx67
Little update on the car, getting somewhere with it slowly
body shop
[/URL]
[/QUOTE]

Your body shop ended up putting two superchargers on your motor... did you notice that?
Old 10-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

yes. lol. Gotta be different
Old 10-06-2014, 06:12 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Looking good!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

started the mini tubbing this past weekend

Should be enough room for a 325/40/18 now
Old 10-07-2014, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

This will be double the fun!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

I need your guys help on fuel system. I have narrowed it down to the tanks inc setup, or the grand national tank. Ive researched this for months and am just not 100% on either. Here is the link to the grand national setup and sender. About $260 give or take
Amazon.com: Spectra Premium FG156A Sending Unit: Automotive Amazon.com: Spectra Premium FG156A Sending Unit: Automotive
Amazon.com: Spectra Premium GM307C Fuel Tank: Automotive Amazon.com: Spectra Premium GM307C Fuel Tank: Automotive

Here is the tanks inc setup. My biggest issue is that tanks inc wont sell them as a plug and play setup, apparently you must cut and adjust and hook everything on your own. I want to put my aem 320lph pump in and run lines and be done. Around $500 give or take
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd305.htm
Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the tanks inc for my 72 Chevelle along with the 400lph pump. I liked the reviews as well as anti-slosh features. For $500, it was a good deal and when I add boost it will work nicely. Especially with a BAP.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lsx67
I need your guys help on fuel system. I have narrowed it down to the tanks inc setup, or the grand national tank. Ive researched this for months and am just not 100% on either. Here is the link to the grand national setup and sender. About $260 give or take
Amazon.com: Spectra Premium FG156A Sending Unit: Automotive
Amazon.com: Spectra Premium GM307C Fuel Tank: Automotive

Here is the tanks inc setup. My biggest issue is that tanks inc wont sell them as a plug and play setup, apparently you must cut and adjust and hook everything on your own. I want to put my aem 320lph pump in and run lines and be done. Around $500 give or take
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd305.htm
The biggest thing I've been struggling with with my fuel sender setup has been getting a fitting/connection between the pump and the outlet plate because the pump is so close to the top of the tank. I've gone through hell making my own pump hanger similar to the tanksinc. style. The big speedbump I was dealing with has been getting the bulkhead fittings low enough without hitting the trunk floor when the tank is tightened up.

If you are going to chop/cut the tank up anyway, get one that fits your car already. Try to get a hanger that recesses below the top of the tank that sits against the trunk floor. Tanksinc makes a trick hanger tray that can be welded in and recesses one of their universal hangers below the outside of the tank. This will be the direction I go when/if my setup doesn't seal and function properly.
Make sure you email or call tanksinc to inquire about possible items that they might make that aren't on their online catalog.
You should maintain the philosophy that it is ok to spend a little extra money up front to get a really good quality fuel tank setup rather than a hack job you have to worry about.
I have paid for two or three fuel pump/tank arrangements trying to remedy and "make things work" when I could have just done my homework first.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your input guys. I think I will be ordering a tank from tanks Inc tomorrow.

Quick Reply: lq4 swap in Pro touring 67 Chevelle