If only I had an LS in mine....
Maybe I could get back to the 14's
^^Clarify that please.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
^^Clarify that please.
It's no secret that everyone thinks that just adding an LS means whatever you put it in automatically hauls ***. It's just an air pump like every other engine out there. Nothing magical. Nothing secret. It's still subject to all the same rules of operation as every other platform. I'm saying that you put a stock LS in a Dakota and you get a 14-second truck.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I fail to see how a stock LS1 and a Boosted Engine is a fair comparison...
Old 11-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

I fail to see how a stock LS1 and a Boosted Engine is a fair comparison...
If you have to add boost to get the performance you want anyway..... then what's gained by going thru all the trouble to swap engines?

Don't get me wrong. The LS is an awesome platform. But it's not the instant path to big numbers. You still have to add boost or bottle or lots of work and a combo of parts to go really fast. No magic.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

OK. So this guy here decided to put a 6.0l in his and try that out..

And I'm sure WITHOUT crap from the peanut gallery..
Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

It's his. He can do whatever he wants to, with, or for it with all my blessings. That's the true essence of "hot-rodding." I'd just hate for anybody to have unrealistic expectations.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Its not the ls in the Dakota that everyone hates, everyone just hates Casias
Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

That's cool. Take the hate somewhere's else and let the guy build his stuff..
Old 11-17-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duner
It's his. He can do whatever he wants to, with, or for it with all my blessings. That's the true essence of "hot-rodding." I'd just hate for anybody to have unrealistic expectations.
Right. Because this site is loaded with underwhelming motors that fail to meet expectations.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by casias
Right. Because this site is loaded with underwhelming motors that fail to meet expectations.
As long as your truck is meeting your expectations then it's all good then isn't it?

How fast we're you expecting it to be compared to where it ended up? Is it the "killer" you had hoped for? Or are you happy to only report your fuel mileage numbers without reporting about performance? In any event - as long as it's what you wanted then enjoy it.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the biggest upside to putting an LS based engine into a car/truck is the reliability, vast aftermarket support and the low cost of replacement parts. I had a Durango with the 4.7 in it for about 2 years, I maintained it well and that thing still had constant issues. I'm sure those issues would only be multiplied if I started modding it!

An LS motor doesn't mean instant racecar, but it does mean you have a solid foundation to build on and you can worry more about how much power you can make, and not so much on what part is going to break next...
Old 11-18-2013, 05:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by duner
As long as your truck is meeting your expectations then it's all good then isn't it?

How fast we're you expecting it to be compared to where it ended up? Is it the "killer" you had hoped for? Or are you happy to only report your fuel mileage numbers without reporting about performance? In any event - as long as it's what you wanted then enjoy it.
If you actually want to engage in conversation, I will summarize many of the conversations we have had. This is more for people who read this thread, not for you.

1) This 130k mile drivetrain from a Sierra acts as two things. Proof of concept, and placeholder. I think it is foolish to throw in 700+ HP in a new concept. Willl this engine make that power? Sure. But right now, it gives me 370 bone stock HP to test alignment, feasibility, and concepts like the remote mount AC system. In the meantime it makes a really nice shop truck.
2) I don't race. I like powerful engines. I don't race.
3) For all of the times you like to forget the fact that 84% of these trucks came with 3.7,4.7 or 5.2 engines. The idea of replacing any of those with a 5.9 is....
4) These trucks are actually pretty nice. Too bad so many end up in the junkyard. I am just offering an alternative.
5) I have two of these. What do you think the next one is for? Have you ever seen me post a "build thread", "dream thread" or "guess thread". I post "done threads".
6)The LS engine unlocks a huge aftermarket of support with an engine platform that will be around a long time.
7) I find it hard to be brand loyal when the only part on my last MAGNUM motor that was original was the block.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well alrighty then...
Old 11-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Could you go into a little more detail on how you are using the original Dodge computer to run the 6.0L and six speed automatic? Also, why is the tach not working if the original computer is being used?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GLHS0426
Could you go into a little more detail on how you are using the original Dodge computer to run the 6.0L and six speed automatic? Also, why is the tach not working if the original computer is being used?
The dodge ECU is not running the engine or transmission. The GM ECU is. It is tapped into the original distribution box with the correct relays and fuses. The Dodge ECU is only running the gauges, using the coolant temp sensor and oil pressure sender tapped into the LS engine. The speedo signal comes from the rear axle, and works as well. Tach doesn't work because the signal for the dodge ECU is 8 counts per revolution, the LS is either 24 or 58 counts per revolution.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Someone tells me that the output on the GM ECU can be changed to match with the existing tach requirements. There are probably threads on this somewhere. I swapped mine with Autometer gauges anyway.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Launching!

That's a pretty good price. Just be ready for the haters. Dodge guys hate this project. If it is an R/T, they really get pissed.
oh for **** sake even they will tell you there's nothing special about an rt dakota. It's a factory sport truck with a 5.9 and rt decals, that's IT! The 5.9 put out a laughable 250hp. What a joke.

I had a yellow 5.2 5spd reg cab 4x4 sport. Fun truck for it's size but those magnum motors suck the big one. Sucks on gas, sucks on power, aftermarket sucks, just sucks IMHO. I would know, owned several.

Last edited by jsmith564; 11-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Someone tells me that the output on the GM ECU can be changed to match with the existing tach requirements. There are probably threads on this somewhere. I swapped mine with Autometer gauges anyway.
You use HP Tuners or EFI Live to do it..Tach Output Table....
Old 11-23-2013, 02:41 AM
Teching In

The dodge ECU is not running the engine or transmission. The GM ECU is. It is tapped into the original distribution box with the correct relays and fuses. The Dodge ECU is only running the gauges, using the coolant temp sensor and oil pressure sender tapped into the LS engine. The speedo signal comes from the rear axle, and works as well. Tach doesn't work because the signal for the dodge ECU is 8 counts per revolution, the LS is either 24 or 58 counts per revolution.
That clarifies things a bit, post number led one to believe there was no other computers added by stating "the orginal Dodge computer was retained." One note on the tach, mid year 2001 and older 8 pulses per revolution, 2001 and up the tach and gauges work off the communications BUS network.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GLHS0426
That clarifies things a bit, post number led one to believe there was no other computers added by stating "the orginal Dodge computer was retained." One note on the tach, mid year 2001 and older 8 pulses per revolution, 2001 and up the tach and gauges work off the communications BUS network.
Sorry for the confusion. I wrote a few versions of this thread on different websites, and clarified it a bit more on some. Suddenly after a year this thread comes alive for the first time.

The most common question, by far, is gauges. The pre-2001 also run Bus. No different. The original dodge ecu doesn't care if it is connected to a motor or not. I cut away all of the wiring related to injectors, alternator, ac, TPS, MAP, AIT, etc, and cleaned up the harness by leaving the 5v power, and oil pressure, coolant, vss, abs. The voltmeter works off of the dodge ecu directly. Anyway, if the Dodge ECU is powered, the sensors will sense, and send the BUS to the gauges.

I believe this is the same on the 2001+ years as well, just JTEC vs NGC? Don't know. But I believe the tach output is probably digital on the GM ECU and can't be read by the Dodge. Not sure on that one either.

Quick Reply: 1999 dakota R/T with LY6/L90 - LSDAK1