Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SpeedHut CAN BUS gauges OBDII port

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add a little to this conversation. I bought the speed hut gauges for my 1972 suburban l92/6l80e combo. I bought standard speedo and tach gauges (they didn't make the can bus speedo and tach in the size I needed) and can bus fuel (custom 3 3/8 size), volts, coolant temp, oil pressure, and trans temp. They are really nice looking and a breeze to install. With that said I'm having a few issues.
First of all you cannot use a y splitter with them. They will shut off when using a scan tool.
Second, my volt meter gauge recently quit working. I thought I had a bigger problem because all the can bus gauges quit working. But I realized the volt meter was the first gauge in the daisy chain. So I unplugged it from the chain and made the next gauge first (coolant temp). All gauges then worked fine. So apparently the voltmeter is not sending the signal through. I haven't called Speedhut yet, but I'm sure it won't be a problem. Their customer service has been really great this far.
Now on to my newest issue, which I need to address with Speedhut. I called them before about a very odd issue I was having. When unplugging the gauges from the OBD port I would get a noticeable change in idle( idle up and smooth out). When plugging them back in again, a noticeable change in idle( idle down, rougher idle). I called them and they assured me there is no way that the gauges could cause these issues, as they are just scanning the port. Now fast forward a little. After my voltmeter went out and I figured out how to bypass it, I plug in my gauges to the OBD port and I immediately get a p0101 code and another code about TCM communication issue and the tranny goes into a funky mode with only 1st gear. I unplug the gauges and reset and everything works fine. The minute I plug them back in I get the same thing. So needless to say I'm driving without gauges right now.
Now I just read a bulliten about things being plugged into the can bus (insurance scanner things, aftermarket cruise control, scanners, etc) are causing issues with the engines in stock form in stock vehicles.
Again this is just some first hand information. Personally I love the gauges, but I'm getting a little concerned that they may be messing up my ECM somehow.
Shawn
Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmmmm, I will just be running the speedometer with a "T" off the data lines. I hope it works. If not I guess it will be the GPS version.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Hmmmmm, I will just be running the speedometer with a "T" off the data lines. I hope it works. If not I guess it will be the GPS version.
I think it will work, unless you plug a scanner in....
Old 11-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Hey Rob! Fancy meeting you here! Ha!

1989GTA,
I agree with Hart. It will work, until you hook up a scanner.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jorgensensc
Just to add a little to this conversation. I bought the speed hut gauges for my 1972 suburban l92/6l80e combo. I bought standard speedo and tach gauges (they didn't make the can bus speedo and tach in the size I needed) and can bus fuel (custom 3 3/8 size), volts, coolant temp, oil pressure, and trans temp. They are really nice looking and a breeze to install. With that said I'm having a few issues.
First of all you cannot use a y splitter with them. They will shut off when using a scan tool.
Second, my volt meter gauge recently quit working. I thought I had a bigger problem because all the can bus gauges quit working. But I realized the volt meter was the first gauge in the daisy chain. So I unplugged it from the chain and made the next gauge first (coolant temp). All gauges then worked fine. So apparently the voltmeter is not sending the signal through. I haven't called Speedhut yet, but I'm sure it won't be a problem. Their customer service has been really great this far.
Now on to my newest issue, which I need to address with Speedhut. I called them before about a very odd issue I was having. When unplugging the gauges from the OBD port I would get a noticeable change in idle( idle up and smooth out). When plugging them back in again, a noticeable change in idle( idle down, rougher idle). I called them and they assured me there is no way that the gauges could cause these issues, as they are just scanning the port. Now fast forward a little. After my voltmeter went out and I figured out how to bypass it, I plug in my gauges to the OBD port and I immediately get a p0101 code and another code about TCM communication issue and the tranny goes into a funky mode with only 1st gear. I unplug the gauges and reset and everything works fine. The minute I plug them back in I get the same thing. So needless to say I'm driving without gauges right now.
Now I just read a bulliten about things being plugged into the can bus (insurance scanner things, aftermarket cruise control, scanners, etc) are causing issues with the engines in stock form in stock vehicles.
Again this is just some first hand information. Personally I love the gauges, but I'm getting a little concerned that they may be messing up my ECM somehow.
Shawn
Any update to your gauge issues? Im considering these gauges for a 09 5.3/6l80 swap in a jeep
Old 03-15-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

My speedometer works just fine. I have not yet hooked up a scanner to see what happens.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I finished my dash a few weeks ago. In my estimation it works out quite well. It will require at least the E40 PCM for a 24x engine to be compatible.
Attached Thumbnails SpeedHut CAN BUS gauges OBDII port-dash-12.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Update: The speedo does not work while the scanner is hooked up. However I can watch the speedo on the scanner if need be.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use auto meter classic-style gauges - Prestige series. They use traditional sensors and analog inputs for tach and speedo, but I also pull tach and speedo from the CAN using Dakota Digital device STA - 1000. It is about $100 shipped and very easy to setup and use. The STA 1000 outputs analog signal to drive traditional speedos and tachs. Both are highly adjustable for gearing tire size, cylinder count, etc.

I tried an OBDII splitter, so I could still use an OBDII diagnostic device, but the splitter didn't work. I sent it back through Amazon.

This might be a more expensive option than buying OBDII compatible gauges, but it broadens the choice dramatically.

For me, I only had to install the water temp sensor and oil pressure adaptor adjacent to the filter coupled with the pressure sensor and related wiring.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails SpeedHut CAN BUS gauges OBDII port-img_0078.jpg  

Quick Reply: SpeedHut CAN BUS gauges OBDII port