Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Buick GS LQ4 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car. I have a 67 GS also. I'm doing an l99 in a 65 special. What headers did you use and how did they work out. Did they clear the brake dist block on the frame.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joejbal
Nice car. I have a 67 GS also. I'm doing an l99 in a 65 special. What headers did you use and how did they work out. Did they clear the brake dist block on the frame.
I got the headers on ebay, the company was racing innovation and supply. I move the brake dist block but it looked like it would just fit. I did have to use the MSD plug wires to angle them to get past the tubes. Stock wires wont work.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm starting on my 66 special in a few weeks. I was going to try to use the 300 mounts in mine if possible. Sits a lot lower though huh? Me ght have to think this out a bit. Can't wait to have the 5.3/4L60 in it and running though.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bygblok
I'm starting on my 66 special in a few weeks. I was going to try to use the 300 mounts in mine if possible. Sits a lot lower though huh? Me ght have to think this out a bit. Can't wait to have the 5.3/4L60 in it and running though.
Iv been driving the car quite a bit this summer and it been great. LS is the best thing I have done to this car. You can try the 300 mounts just make sure you check the clearance on the tie rods before you bolt it in. You my have to shim it up a bit or try to find a different oil pan.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1967BuickGS400
Well its been a long time coming but I just got the car going about 3-4 weeks ago. Iv been out driving it as much as I can. I ended up going with the Holley HP EFI system. I had to change over to an LS1 because the LQ4 I had was a 2000 and had the built on shim on the crank so I couldn't run my flywheel. The only issues im having is with the idle bouncing from 400-1100 when I come to a stop, and it taking about 5 seconds of cranking over to fire. The only thing that I would really like to get figured out is the idle issue. I have noticed if I just put the car in neutral while slowing to a stop and hit the gas for a second at about 1200-1500rpm it idles down fine, but if I shift down and push the clutch in at 1500rpm it bounces for about 20 seconds. I have done a search and found the same issue for other people with the holley system and a couple suggestions but the thread ends without saying if they fixed the issue and how. Does anyone know what to try? Also is there a way to get the gauges on my laptop like you can get with the holley touchscreens? The only thing I can see is the small sensor box at the bottom of the screen but I would like to put up a gauge cluster to see.
The high idle sounds like it could be your throttle body, if there a bit dirty you can clean out but the dbw is real touchy if you open the flap it will throw the calibration off so best to take off and clean, but if you have dbc you could replace the sensors and clean it out vs replacing the whole throttle body
Old 12-27-2015, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Well the cars away for the winter so now im thinking about some power upgrades for next year. I have a older whipple charger setup that mounts on the passenger side of the engine that I had on my pickup back in 2001. It had a bunch of whipple electronics that im going to delete and just run bigger injectors. It also had a piece that mounted were the throttle body goes on the intake with 2 injectors to help cool the air and add a little more fuel. I plan on repiping it to a intercooler and see what kind of air temp I get. My plan is whipple charger 8psi of boost, 317 heads on my LS1, I have a LS6 intake and 42# injectors right now, Tick performance stage 1 Blower cam, I have shorty headers and duel 2 1/2" exhaust. I am wondering what kind of hp you guys think I could hit with my setup. Im hoping for high 400 to 500 RWHP.

Quick Reply: 67 Buick GS LQ4 swap.