Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats almost to clean for a dd
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by maromatt
thats almost to clean for a dd
I agree... But if it just sits around it will not take long to go down hill..
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Looking to sell my turbo kit if anyone is interested.. Going to go N/A for the first year or so.. I can rebuild another kit easily and the deadline is approaching quickly.. Need the added funds to get it back on the road..
Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 AM
TECH Resident

Well it's been a while since i posted on here.. Been alot going on but its coming down to the wire on this ****..

I have the ECM at wait4me getting a reflash.. I stumbled upon a crack free dashboard in a salvage yard recently so i had to refinish that and re harnessed the wiring under the dash.. I added all factory sensors to clutch and brake pedals.. as well as all wiring for cruise control.. Harness is all extended behind the seats and the battery is back there as well.. Should have the dash back in this week as well as the rest of the interior.. I installed a Monte Carlo SS pedal only to find that it will not work with the truck ECM/TAC so I plan to head to a salvage yard to grab a new pedal from an 02 tahoe (need the steel pedal vs the all plastic one that my setup came with..

So in short.. I have to reinstall the interior.. hook up the final wiring.. remove the engine/trans and do final paint / assembly on everything.. and poof.. should fire up.. Gotta have it done by end of Aug since the baby will be here in September..
Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Grabbed a new pedal from they JY yesterday.. going to cut it apart to reangle the pedal into a more comfortable location.. Then I will build a mount plate for it and bolt it in..

under dash wiring is done.. going to mount my battery passthrough lugs in the floor of the smugglers compartment and put some power to everything and see what works and what doesn't..

Might go ahead and hook a scanner to it too just to see if the throttle works properly prior to putting that perfect dash pad in there..

Getting closer
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Slow progress.. My weekends are full of baby / family stuff basically until she is here..

Got my pedals all finished up and in..

Got the dash pad and all wiring back in and tied out of it's own way.. Seems I may have forgotten the speedo cable..

Now that the inside is coming back together I am starting to want to work on it more..

Ordered some 2.5 inch ARP wheel studs for the back (have to run them for spacers) can get it all done..

Driveshaft was shortened and balanced.. So at least a little progress is being made!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Got the wheel studs knocked in last night only to find that the wheel spacers i had made are too shallow and hit the hub of the axle shaft (spacers are hub centric and made from billet aluminum)..

So i remeasured to find that i was in the wrong and had them re machined and welded up today while i am at work.. should have the wheels back on it tonight with more than enough clearance..

Next step is to make patch for floor where the old 4 speed shifter was and put the carpet back in. Finalize the position of my battery and my fuse panel and ecm mounts behind the seats.. once that is all done I will pull the engine / trans for the last time.. and finish up all my paint / detail work... and key on for the first time..

By the way. the guy who did my tune (wait4meperformance) said that he couldn't supply a good tune if i planned to use blow thru MAF.. and tuned the ECM for speed density.. Is anyone here running blow thru MAF on their setup?
Thought that was pretty common..
Old 08-07-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Pulled the entire drivetrain back out since mock up is done.. re-cleaned all the tins.. wire wheeled the block and painted it.. installed new front and rear seals and gaskets.. torqued everything down.. Installed the damper only to think ??shouldn't the engine have tried to turn when i was pulling the damper on there??.. pulled the spark plugs out.. Nothing. Won't turn.. Peaked in the holes and #8 had some rust on the wall.. So off with the heads to find a pretty severely rusted up #8 cylinder wall.. I cleaned the rust off.. WD40 and some scotch brite action and it's all gone.. the walls are marked but no pitting to speak of..

I ordered me some LS9 gaskets and some ARP head bolts to bolt this shiz back together with..

Off to Florida Friday morning thru Tuesday for a Birthday treat to myself.. then when i get back I can assemble my trans with the completed T56 Mechanical Speedo mod (currently in the machine shop)..

Once everything is in It's final resting place i can heat wrap my hot pipes.. run battery cables and It's go time!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

Back from Florida.. Had some packages on my porch..

Put my heads in the cleanup tank.. cleaned and oiled the cylinders.. put on my new 7 layer LS9 gaskets and ARP fasteners..

It looks like an engine again..

Welded my oil return bung in the oil pan.. got all the aluminum parts painted and ready to torque on.. will post pics tonight of the engine back in the car..

Going to take my turbo manifolds and pipes up to INDY to get ceramic coated.. figure may as well do it while the pipes are clean.. going to get the under hood stuff done this week..

This weekend Im planning to reassemble the T56 with the new syncros and one new bearing..

Hope I can get it to fire this weekend??
Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Well alot has been done in a short time.. I have the engine all together and in the car.. the front clip is on and the radiator and fans are in and done.. I have to add two wires back to the harness for my EVAP solenoid.. going to use it to keep the fumes down...

The trans is all back together with new 2nd gear.. hand re faced/shaped 1/2 and 4th gears.. and all new syncros.. shifts on the work bench so I assume it is all good.. It should go in the car for the "last time" tonight..

On this note I want to thank Joey at Tick Performance for his help with the T56 stuff and say that if you need parts.. go to them.. they ship fast and free.. they have THE BEST customer service i have ever had the benefit of dealing with.. and are just all around good guys..

I ended up cleaning up the welds on my home made manifolds at work on the TIG table... and the wife gave me the OK to have the stuff coated.. sent it all up to INDY Powder Coating for a double dip of their Ceramic coating.. Went with semi gloss black.. couldn't be happier..

Wrapped the crossover pipes and downpipe with exhaust wrap as well and coated and tied that all up.. looks great..

The turbo is getting a go through at Holset's turbo lab right now.. (benefits of knowing people).. I have a blanket for it too..

I got my oil cooler in and am making hoses for that now.. then it is just bolting the exhaust back on.. hooking up power steering hoses and hopefully wait4me's tune will fire up first try..

I got read of my smart phone in favor of a free company phone. so i don't have any pics of the above mentioned work....

But I do have this pic..

This is me and Vivian Rose Parton.. My first child born Friday Aug 30th at Columbus Regional Hospital.. She was a big girl.. 10lbs 4oz... Mommy and Daughter are all doing wonderfully and are already home and settled in..

Couldn't be happier.. Now the wife is pushing me to get the Meano done so I can use it to "calm down" on the way home from work..

Old 09-02-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Looks like a great build. You seem to do real nice work. Congrats on the beautiful baby. Glad to hear wife and daughter are doing good.

Jim
Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Jim.. Really couldn't be happier..
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Sounds like a pretty bad *** camino............ same birthday as mine
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Took the day off yesterday to enjoy the weather and garage time.. got out there and realized that the LQ4 didn't have any bellhousing dowels..

Got some made same day but they wouldn't knock into the block.. I don't think this thing ever had any dowels in it.. So much crud in the holes in the block.. I will clean out the holes tonight with a tiny round flap paper wheel..

Then it's Trans Time..

Got my oil cooler hoses made today.. as well as my #3 clutch hose and my fuel supply hose.. Things are coming together slowly but it's getting there..
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Work done last night..

Trans is back in..
crossmember is in..
driveshaft in..
Fuel line hooked up..
Exhaust manifolds back on and torqued..
Spark plugs back in..
Coils back on..
Wiring harness hooked up..
New plug wires on..

Work to do tonight..

Turbo bolted to manifold..
crossover pipe back on..
downpipe back on..
Exhaust back on..
wire up Bosch Alternator plug..
Shorten harnesses for the O2 plugs
Make up some battery positive / ground cables...
lengthen wiring harness for fans... OOPS..
Wire in a 3 wire coolant temp sensor for factory gauge..
hook up vacuum vent to fuel tank OOPS..
Add wire to PCM for the intake mounted tank purge..
Mock up turbo oil drain and supply..
Install turbo blanket..

Attempt fireup..
Old 09-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

lookin good! keep it up!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome build! I like your log setup/routing. Most builds I've seen ditch the fender wells and a/c. I'm subscribing and looking forward to seeing this thing run.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

IT RUNS!!!!

After a second or two of priming it runs like a champ..

I can't seem to be able to post a video to photobucket to share due to length but I will post it up as soon as i figure out how to shorten it..

Now I have an issue.. I have it all wired to where the ECM will control the starter relay but the circuit that the ecm controls (ground control for control side of starter relay) isn't grounding when the key is turned.. I have checked all the circuits in the 06 GMC Sierra diagram and all things point to it being wired properly.. Is this something that wait4me could have turned off in the cal?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you need to have the starter relay wired to the ecm? Why not just use the cars existing starter wire for the relay and bypass the ecm?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and congrats on getting her running.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56/HX55 Turbo Into 1986 El Camino.. Running Now