Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsx in a 59 el camino

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lsx in a 59 el camino

anyone here done it? im sure they have but can anyone give me info on it? might be buying a 59 el camino this week and leaving the body the way it is and just dumping a LSX anythign like a 4.8 5/3 or 5.7 or even a 6.0 and what tranny would i need to put (AUTOMATIC ONLY) on? i want this to be super cheep and quick nothing fancy... any links of where to buy motor mounts to convert this? headers? fuel tank? thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking to do the same; have neighbor down the road with one and I've been trying to buy it from him... Will keep an eye on this thread.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

"super cheap and quick" isn't normally associated with an LS swap. On top of the engine/trans purchase, you're still looking at another $3-5k for fuel system changes, cooling mods, headers, oil pan, mounts, wiring mods, etc.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Teching In

My Impala is a 1960, and the swap for the X-Frame cars like ours is not quick and cheap. It is however well worth the time and money once you get it done. I would recommend you go ahead and look at Street and Performance's mounts/headers/trans crossmember along with the swap oil pan and add that into the cost of your motor and transmission. Also consider your fuel system and how you want to run it. I bought a new tank and ran an inline pump with corvette filter with -6an feed line to the motor. Also look at Jon's wire harness at psi conversions. If I do another swap I will use his stuff, he is way helpful on this board and he says he keeps the harnesses in stock. Do a little research and you can get really close to what you will need for the "big" parts, but the small stuff adds up and trust me...there will be plenty of small stuff.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

yeah i figured around 5k is what the swap would run me, just wanted to ask if anyone who has done it could give me a few pointers
Old 03-18-2013, 02:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm helping a buddy put a 5.3 4l60e combo in a 59 Brookwood 2 door wagon. He used S&P mounts with an F body pan. For headers he's using block huggers, not sure of brand but think they may be Sanderson. They were the only ones he could get to work, but it has air ride so that may have been an issue with exhaust. He kept the truck manifold and accessories and even cut the vortec cover down and it fits under the hood.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I'm helping a buddy put a 5.3 4l60e combo in a 59 Brookwood 2 door wagon. He used S&P mounts with an F body pan. For headers he's using block huggers, not sure of brand but think they may be Sanderson. They were the only ones he could get to work, but it has air ride so that may have been an issue with exhaust. He kept the truck manifold and accessories and even cut the vortec cover down and it fits under the hood.
good info thanks

Quick Reply: lsx in a 59 el camino