Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Camaro Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1967 Camaro Power Steering

I have a '67 Camaro with a Delphi 670 steering box. I'm installing an LQ9 this spring and would like to re-use my PS hoses that went to my old PS pump.

The return is easy. But does anyone know off hand what the correct adapter would be to go from the LQ9 pressure side of the pump to the '67 pressure hose?

I'm assuming the LQ9 is an O-ring fitting, but what size? And what size is the pressure fitting on the '67 pump? Thanks for any insight.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

After a little more searching it looks like the LQ9 pump uses a 16mmx1.5 o-ring. And the '67 Camaro pump looks like it's a a 5/8-18 inverted flare? Can anyone confirm that?

I also forgot to mention that I was using a '69 Camaro PS pump and hose (old engine was not original and had a long waterpump on it). I'm assuming the fitting size is the same, just the hose shape is a little different, but I could be wrong (it's happened before...)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the newer GM Pump are using the 16mm x 1.5mm O-ring fittings. Are you trying to use OEM type of fitting and Hoses ?.. or are you going to use AN Hose and Fitting?

I converted my setup to AN Adapters and fitting along with Teflon lined SS Braided Hose. Used the Inverted Flare to AN -6 adapers. All Russell parts.

Should be the same for your 67 or 69 pump and box port/threads.

BC
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bczee
Yes, the newer GM Pump are using the 16mm x 1.5mm O-ring fittings. Are you trying to use OEM type of fitting and Hoses ?.. or are you going to use AN Hose and Fitting?

I converted my setup to AN Adapters and fitting along with Teflon lined SS Braided Hose. Used the Inverted Flare to AN -6 adapers. All Russell parts.

Should be the same for your 67 or 69 pump and box port/threads.

BC
I'm trying to re-use my oem hose and fittings, and find an adapter to connect to the new GM pump.

When I first did the PS conversion on my '67 I had used braided stainless hose with -6an fittings and never got a perfect seal. After 50 miles of driving I'd get air in the fluid and it would froth. I'd have to jack the front of the car up, turn the steering wheel 50 times lock to lock to bleed it out. I switched to oem hoses and it took care of the problem, so I just didn't want to fight that battle again.

I think what I'm looking for is an 16mmx1.5 male o-ring to 5/8-18 male adapter. Which I can't seem to find. Has anyone else done this?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok.. I have not had that problem.. I did have Lock Up.. but I resolve that by using a cooler. Due to the Higher pressure of the pump and the lower requirement of the box. There must have been some fluid restriction and the fluild was getting hot.

Putting a cooler on might help or is something to consider.

BC
Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure if they still do, but Lee Manufacturing used to make adapters to connect the older GM (tubing threads) hoses to the Grand Cherokee (Metric threads) steering boxes. They may make an adapter to go from the Metric threads on the pump to Tubing threads on the steering box.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jwatts
I am not sure if they still do, but Lee Manufacturing used to make adapters to connect the older GM (tubing threads) hoses to the Grand Cherokee (Metric threads) steering boxes. They may make an adapter to go from the Metric threads on the pump to Tubing threads on the steering box.
Thanks, I have the Lee Mfg inserts in my PS box, and they were very helpful when I ordered from them last year. I may give them a call to see if they have what I need.

I also thought about using a 16mmx1.5 o-ring male to -6an male, and then a -6an female to 5/8-18 male fitting, but I haven't been able to find the latter either.

I may just try to find a hydraulic hose shop and bring the hose I have along with the new GM pump and see what they come up with for a solution.

Quick Reply: 1967 Camaro Power Steering