Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Nova SS - 5.3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 Nova SS - 5.3 Swap

Purchased this car December 2012 from the original owner who ordered the car to his spec brand new. After driving the car since November 1971, battling and beating cancer once. He decided it was time to send the car on, after being diagnosed with lung cancer after beating colon cancer shortly before. I purchase the car, including the original title, buildsheet and bill of sale for $1000. Drove the car home from Gallatin, MO (100miles). The pictures tell the rest of the story.

Robbed the wheels and tires off of the Chevelle and bought a new cowl hood for the car. (283 / powerglide powered at this time.) Original owner blew up the 350 racing in the mid 90's.

Happened to have a friend of a friend call me needing to free up some cash in the worst kind of way. So, this 1972 Malibu was purchased for parts. Along with it came a brand new 377 and a TH350, 3.73 geared 12 bolt and a ton of nice other stuff. Paid $3500 for the car, included $7000 in receipts for the build of the engine and transmission. Parted the car out because it was just a Malibu, saved some of the parts for my 72 Heavy Chevy chevelle. Yanked the 377 / TH350 out for the nova.

Hastily threw the new drivetrain in the nova after yanking the 283/glide out and selling them. It's out of line for me to do an engine swap without cleaning and detailing the engine bay.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed...51577705531387

The 377 ran great, moved out well. Problem was, the fuel economy was absolute trash in the car. I emptied out the 16 gallon fuel cell in the first few hours of driving the car. Then the idea of an LSX swap came into mind. I work 40 miles one way from home and it would be a cool idea to be able to drive the car to and from work on occasion.

With that said, OUT with the 377, blow the front clip off. Clean, repair, rebuild, prepare for the impending lsx swap. Refurbished everything in the frontend. Added Moroso trick drag front springs, competition engineering 3-way adjustable shocks.

Finally two weeks ago, a 5.3 was sourced. I think I paid $300 for it, can't remember.

Used transdapt 4592 engine mounts to set it in the correct position to mount it to my TH400. Also used a truck oil pan and truck accessories.

Oil pan clearance wasn't too much of a worry. My 2004 Mustang GT I sold last summer had less than 4" of clearance between the pan and the ground.

Put everything back together on the front clip. Looks like I have less than 1/4" of clearance between the top of my manifold and the hood inner structure.

Also, it should be noted at this point. The coil pack on the back drivers side has less than 1/2" of clearance before it hits the brake booster.

Wound up using a 99 Silverado upper radiator hose and a 72 Nova lower radiator hose for the cooling side of things. Still need to dig up some f-body manifolds. NO WAY, NO HOW WILL THE TRUCK MANIFOLDS FIT WITH THE REAR STEERING SETUP! The gearbox is way too close to the engine, for those of you who are uninformed, it's located on the drivers inside frame rail behind the engine crossmember.

Went to Carrolton, MO last Friday (About 3 hours from home) and picked up the following parts for $190
Complete uncut engine harness & ECM - $150
Alternator, bracket & PS pump - $20
Starter - $10
Throttle Body - $10

Had the kid throw in the bolts for everything, as I was missing them. I followed LT1swap.com's instructions for the wiring and 5 hours later had a rats nest, but a much lighter rats nest.

Which brings us current, I'm waiting for the mail to come today, hopefully some final wiring parts will come in.

The plan is to get the car running, get all of the bugs out. Swap the cam out and put a nitrous kit on it for this summer. Then next winter begin the turbo kit build.

I'm glad to entertain any wood-be LSX 3rd gen nova swappers questions. As what i've found on the internet is a bunch of "Maybe this will fit" nothing concise.

Quick Reply: 1972 Nova SS - 5.3 Swap