Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So why did it just shut off? Here is the culptit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013 | 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any idea where the soda straw can be found? I would not mind having a replacement in waiting.
Old 07-17-2013 | 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Any idea where the soda straw can be found? I would not mind having a replacement in waiting.
I knew someone would ask and I was at work so I couldn't provide the link. The only place I know is from Racetronix http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...FT-150&eq=&Tp=

They have different lengths to suit what you are building and it is quite affordable.

Honestly, I've had decent luck with the Gates submersible in-tank hose when installed properly if the moons line up and after I sacrifice the proper animal using the proper ritual. However for the price and the fact that OEM's (at least GM) uses this and I've never seen one fail, it's hard to beat. The flexibility of this material is a huge plus - the only downfall I have experienced is it is NOT reusable.

Here is a link for the whole list, not just the one I use which is above.
http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...TpStatus=1&Tp=
Old 07-17-2013 | 09:43 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

The ethanol content eats up those black hoses over time. Racetronix has AMAZING customer service in my experience btw
Old 07-17-2013 | 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Same thing happened to my GF's LQ4 Camaro, with dual in tank pumps. It would barely start and run. Pulled the sender, one hose was ruptured and both were rock hard and brittle. The other hose literally snapped when I removed it. Got a screaming deal on the car because the guy who built it couldn't figure out this $5 problem.
Old 07-17-2013 | 10:38 AM
Banned

my dad was having fuel issues with his 75 T/A he replaced the fuel lines with an aluminum fuel line and now it runs a lot better. there is still a problem but thats because of the carb adapter plat thing is it runs better with out one but then we cant hook up the kick down cable so who knows.
Old 07-17-2013 | 02:02 PM
Teching In

I bought a walbro 255 pump and installed it with the new hose that came with the pump. Has anyone had any problems with this set-up,or am I a breakdow in waiting???
Old 07-17-2013 | 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The flexibility of this material is a huge plus - the only downfall I have experienced is it is NOT reusable.
Really? I need to change out my impala sending unit, and planned to swap my existing racetronix fuel pump over. Why can't you reuse it?
Old 07-17-2013 | 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Once that type of hose seats.. it is not easy to removed. it becomes very hard and is easy to crack. And if you could take it off nicely.. it most likely would not reseat once you re-install it. .that has been my experience.

My recommendation.. This is something you don't want to fail while on the Road.(just ask OldGoat !) and/or also have to fix more than once..!

Just replace everything that you can that you can or should be.. so.. Hoses, clamps, seals, O-rings.. etc.. A few extra bucks now is not going to hurt you..

BC
Old 07-17-2013 | 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

External Say it !!!!! LOL
Old 07-18-2013 | 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
Really? I need to change out my impala sending unit, and planned to swap my existing racetronix fuel pump over. Why can't you reuse it?
It actually doesn't get hard, but the hose is designed to "snap" in place like push-loc hose. I'm not saying you can't reuse it but I've never had any luck getting one loose without destroying it. For under $5, it isn't worth the hassle.

The right stuff from the parts store is sold in one foot sections and is very expensive. I want to say around $20 or so a foot for the Gates brand. That stuff actually works (what I'm using right now for one car) and has been fine for a couple of years. The problem is price and everything has to be exactly where you want it before you make the hose. Another car of mine has the nylon straw type which allowed me flexibility once in the tank. I've learned my lesson and I'm not going back.

Originally Posted by rockytopper
External Say it !!!!! LOL
Funny guy Rocky. Hahaha. Some cars are too low for a sump and an external pump. Then there is the noise factor of some external pumps... I'm not against them, they have their place. One benefit is a simpler install for a lot of situations.
Old 07-19-2013 | 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

You can't even buy a cheeseburger at McDonalds for the price of the flex hose. Buy several and throw them on a shelf for your next swap. Quibbling over a $20 piece of hose and a couple efi clamps, gimme a break. Just do it once and do it right.

Great info and source, thx.
Old 07-20-2013 | 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know which of these hoses most closely matches the B-body (94-96) oe spec? I am pretty sure it is the 8 mm.

Quick Reply: So why did it just shut off? Here is the culptit!!!