Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator wiring question

I have read this site and many others on the topic. I bought a cheap $3 dorman 1/2 warning light off summit. I was hoping someone can tell me how to test it to see if it has enough resistance because i dont feel like burning up a bunch of $100 alternators to get it right. With my key on engine off my battery has 14v. I took a wire that is only hot when ignition is on and its also reading 14v. I wired that wire to one terminal on the light. the positive wire for my voltmeter i hooked up to the other terminal on the light. the ground wire of my voltmeter to chassis ground. I did not see a voltage drop. Should I have? Am I testing it correctly?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 AM
Staging Lane

I think I may have found my answer on how to properly test at this site

http://www.crookedriverwriter.com/in...p-testing.html

as well as this post on ls1 (post 4)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...d-voltage.html
Old 09-07-2013, 05:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just put a self exciting regulator in the alternator and you only need the battery cable.

It is very easy to swap out
About a $50 part

Tim
Old 09-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

i think i might give the light bulb a try, if i blow this alternator then the next one I will do that.

I just got done testing the light. My car with ignition on car off has 14.4 volts. I just tested the voltage drop across the light by hooking the light up, turning it on, red probe on positive side of the light, black probe on negative side of the light. The volts displayed on my multimeter was 12.3 I also test the ohms of resistance on the light and it only had 30 ohms of resistance. Any one a little more electrical savy that can chime in and tell me if this will be ok with the alternator?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Default Alternator

I have a 6.0 I swapped, I didn't change anything on the plug to the pcm and ran a wire from the terminal on the alternator to my power distribution block. My amp meter reads ~14.3 at startup and ~13.8 while driving. So far (300 miles) my battery hasn't discharged, so I guess it works.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

When you start up the car the light should turn on for a couple of seconds and then Go dark. Then You know it's working.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

I am doing like MikeHawk and just using the 2 wires from the alternator plug that were already wired into the ECM.....but, I don't HAVE the charge indicator light hooked up on the car, because I can't figure out what to do with it now.

I'm tired of reading about alternator hookups.

Quick Reply: Alternator wiring question