Sponsored by:

Couple Questions for A-body LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Couple Questions for A-body LS swap

I have been looking around and reading on a-body swaps. I just picked up a 71 chevelle I want to swap an LS motor into, but I have a few questions.

What transmissions will fit with minimal tunnel mods? I have a 4l60e laying around i was thinking about using since I have it. How well does it fit? Will a 4l80e bolt right up since it is like a th400?

Or if i decide to go with a manual I'd assume a Muncie would bolt right up?

Why do I see everyone using a Jeep steering box???

If i go with rack and pinion, does it have clearance issues with the stock truck power steering pulley like the stock steering box? Also is there a cheap rack and pinion setup? Was contemplating trying to find a car i could rob one from, like a 4th gen f body.

To wire up a pcm to run I'm assuming i will need to run a few custom wires into it. Where is everyone getting the pins for the stock pcm terminals?

Are there custom cables you can buy and cut to length for the transmission shifters? Not sure which floor shifter will be used but wasn't sure how to connect it to the new transmission.

thanks for any and all help.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1- yes the 4L60e should bolt in and depending on engine placement... little or no trans tunnel modification will be needed. Most likely the 4L80e will require some trans tunnel Hammering as it is a big trans.

2- Yes It will bolt up if you have all of the correct parts. But Manual Throw Out Bearing can and will be a problem, suggest going Hyd.

3- They cheap and found in almost every Junk Yard. They have a quick Ratio 12.1:1 or so..

4- I am not a fan of going RnP... they are nice.. but many have had issue (depending on what kit is used). And yes, there could be clearance issue under the front pully. Don't Cheap out on this araa.. !

5- There are a few companys that have new terminal (Casper Electronics, EFI Connection, Current performance, The Repair Connector Store, etc to name a few).

6- Check with Lokar, Shifterworks and search on the forum for what other have done to modify the OEM shifters.

There is a Sticky / FAQ with a list of thread for A-Body conversions. Try Researching them.

Hope that help.. might suggest you research some more and ask your question in a smaller, more direct area subject question. As asking a single question on a single subject will get you a more direct and better answer.

Good luck and keep your a Build Thread going.. !

BC
Old 12-26-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info^^

several of us have done every thing your asking about and have pics in our build threads, lots of options and different ways to go about the swap, good luck!
Old 12-26-2013, 03:50 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The jeep steering boxes bolt right up in place of a stock box? No modifications needed? What is the ratio of a chevelle steering box?

I've been trying to read as much as possible, but it is hard to find what I'm specifically looking for sometimes in a 25 page thread....

thanks for the help!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.. it will bolt right up.. with the exception of using the correct rag joint. 13/16" 36 spline to 3/4" 36 spline IIRC...>??

the chevelle ratio can range from a Quick ration to a Variable ratio .. 12:1 to in the 20:1

Many good articals are out there. .Jst do a google search.. many of the car magazine have been through this before many times.. or go to the team chevelle forum..

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...e-Steering-Box

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/arch.../t-114155.html

Quick Reply: Couple Questions for A-body LS swap