Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updating wiring for Swap and ecm mount 68 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating wiring for Swap and ecm mount 68 Firebird

I have a 68 firebird that had an ls3 installed. i have taken the car completely apart as the install wasn't done very cleanly. It is a GMPP 376/480 complete setup with PCM and GM fuse box. My first question for those who have done these on Gen 1 cars is where to mount the ecm and those large connectors from the harness. The original guy had it laying in the fender - unmounted, The fuse box had a special bracket that mounted it over the heater box under the hood. I am ok with that staying there but am thinking the ecm should be in the cabin of the car. Secondly the car is 45 years old so I am thinking I should update the rest of the wiring and wondered what suggestions people had - universal fuse kit? American autowire? My main issue is that I am not using a ton of the factory wires as all the engine is through the GM box. Thanks in advance for the help. FYI - I did do some searching in the forums but couldn't find relevant threads. If you do and just want to paste the links I will be happy to check those out. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Teching In

I have a 66 nova and mounted the computer and fuse box under the dash of my car. I just did this because I don't like seeing it all under the hood. You can mount the computer any place you feel is best. Also painless makes nice wiring harness for just about any car. You can get just the inside wiring and for the tail lights. A universal kit will work just be a little harder to install as it's not made for your car. Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Ive just finished my swap on my 68 camaro and I mounted my computer under the dash behind the glove box. As far as factory wiring harness check out classic industries. You can get on their website and get a 500 page catalog from them for free. They sell each and every part. If you have any questions feel free to pm me
Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I see that American Auto wire makes a completely new wiring system that looks to have some nice features but isn't cheap. Any one used this on a 68? Looks like the GM box that came with the engine harness and engine and only needs power, ignition on source and a neutral safety switch connection (auto). Everything else seems to be contained within their setup. - Chad

Quick Reply: Updating wiring for Swap and ecm mount 68 Firebird