Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default Best catch can?

Best street catch can for LSx. Please give reason for your opinion.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed View Post
Guys, remember a catch can is like a condenser...that's it's function. It takes the heated gassy vapors, and in the can they cool and condense and the oil "falls out" collecting in the can, and the cleaner vapors return to the engine. The condensing action in the can is what makes them worth the money, but is often left out of the explanation of what they do and how they work!
There was a very good thread on here by a guy who sold catch cans. He did a test where he put a white paper fuel filter on the outlet of a bunch of catch cans. His theory is the good ones would trap all the oil and keep the filter from turning brown.

I can't remember which can he made, but it was essentially a large one with a number of internal diversions that allowed the air to cool thus condensing / separating the oil mist. The other one I remember him saying worked well was Saikou Michi. I also remember him saying to avoid cans with any type of wick/sponge separator like a steel wool or scotch brite pad. He said they work alright for awhile but eventually the wick gets saturated and starts letting oil through

I think it was the RevXtreme can. See how all there is in side are a couple of miss directions and a lot of aluminum to condense (cool) the air.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never thought about differences before, but planned on installing one on my build. will be watching for input.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking around for this info. for a long time. I decided that the best were probably Saiku Mitchi and the RevXtreme versions.

I use my Saturn as my test mule. Bought a $20 ebay one and it was terrible. Added a snorkel and steel wool and it worked a little better but was still not catching much. Currently running a Harbor Freight air/oil separator (the smaller one - $10) and am happy with the results. Many use store brand (lowes, home depot, sears, campbell hausfeld) with good success as well. Problem is usually that they are designed for pressure and the drain needs work to seal while under vacuum.

I got lucky and found a RX unit on CL for a good price so that is what is in the my Monte right now.

Other notable brands that I am sure would work really well too are: Mike Norris and Moroso. I'm sure there are a few others I'm missing but those are a start.

Make sure whatever you buy has internal baffles and maybe some media. The larger the better. When the air from the PCV exits the hose and enters a large volume it causes the velocity of the air to slow down considerably and when that happens, the oil vapors settle out. Bigger volume, slower air, better work. All the cheap cans use the volume method, the good ones use volume and baffles and sometimes media all together to work even better.

HTH
Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Pop-N-Wood,
thanks for the pic. Which can is that?

Thanks to all the bothered to post.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The cross section one is the Rev Xtreme. Looks easy to make.

By the way I did find the original thread I was thinking about. 15 pages of head scratching discussion. The guy on there said rev xtreme or the Saikou units were the only two he recommended. Amazing how full on race set ups need a can in the vent line also.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html

Quick Reply: Best catch can?