Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible to use hydroboost out of my mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible to use hydroboost out of my mustang

Is it possible to retain the hydroboost brakes and steering when doing my 5.3 turbo swap. I know I can swap over to the v6 mustang brake system I just wondered if I can retain the stock brake set up.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

i was just looking into this for my 65- not sure if you already have hydroboost? This was mainly on the cobras right? Yeah if you already have it you can either adapt the stock pump to fit on the ls motor like im doing, or they sell a pressure reducing fitting that screws into the stock ps chev pump and hook everything up as it was. Just takes pressure out to the hydroboost, then from there to the ps rack. Two returns, one from each. Pretty simple system and from the looks of it what ps pump you use doesnt really matter if the pressure is ok. Only thing i saw was the chev uses PS fluid right? and the ford stuff uses atf in the system- and they dont like each other- so if you can use atf in the chev pump that works. Im not doing hydroboost but im making a custom braket to put the ford late model mustang pump onto the LY6 i bought, it uses the same serpentine belt six rib.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:33 PM

any pics of the bracket, that'd be great if I could reuse my stock pump
Old 12-31-2013, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

my loose setup i did when the new pump arrived- just ordered a stock steel bracket for this pump and i'll cut off when i need then weld that all to some heavy plate that will bolt on where the a/c pump used to go. Then i need some idler pulleys and brackets for the alternator...
Attached Thumbnails possible to use hydroboost out of my mustang-img_1228.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

actually i was looking more closely at this last night and came up with a different solution- something more like this...
so you can buy a kit for the drivers side alternator to mount everything like this with the idlers- i'll prob make one- but the passenger side im on my own. Hopefully the mount i make for the ps pump has some room and i can mount another idler on there to keep the belt away from the truck thermostat. Maybe after i fab one up i'll give it to my engineer buddy who can scan it and remake them in solidworks and have a shop start making them up- we do that every once in awhile.
Attached Thumbnails possible to use hydroboost out of my mustang-mustang-belt-.jpg   possible to use hydroboost out of my mustang-mustang-belt-example.jpg  

Quick Reply: possible to use hydroboost out of my mustang