Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS4 swap into WRX questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 swap into WRX questions

Hey guys I recently picked up an 05 WRX for dirt cheap, and I've read a few articles on here by guys who swapped LS engines into theirs and in the process converting them to RWD. However I had a better idea. I want to attempt an LS4 conversion in this car while retaining AWD. As far as I know there are manual trannies and one or two T-cases that bolt up to the LS4. MY question is does anyone know if one could bolt an F40 manual tranny with a Saab T-case up to this LS4 and make it work with the WRX's AWD system? I read somewhere that a lot of Saab parts are interchangeable with Subaru, which is what got me thinking it may be possible? Anyways, anyone with any knowledge on this sort of thing please chime in with your opinions or information, and as always any and all info/input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

GreyFox
Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

There are only 2 running LS4/F40 swaps - both in Fiero's. Here is my build thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...peed-swap.html

Here is another thread that is focusing on the LS4/F40 w/ AWD using the Saab AWD unit:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...0-6-speed.html
Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The interchangeable SAAB parts are for the 9-2X, which is an Impreza with a different front clip and tail lights. The design of the Subaru driveline vs. the length of the LSx is not going to allow you to run anything shy of a transfer case off the back of the trans and somehow fit a front diff and axles where the LSx sits.

Subaru motor sits in front of the front wheels, it's very short.

Quick Reply: LS4 swap into WRX questions