Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in 87 c10 shortbed o2 sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in 87 c10 shortbed o2 sensor problems

Hey guys, I've got a 2004 or 2005 5.3 engine, ECU, and dbw box/pedal from an Avalanche swapped into a 1987 GMC short bed c10... Bought the truck with the swap already done, wiring is a mess but everything seems to work. I've put about 10,000 miles on the truck since owning it and haven't had many issues besides the fuel pump overheating and tiring off due to what I believe was a clogged fuel tank vent hose.

The other day while driving the truck just started running terrible for about 2 minutes. Chugging, shaking, low on power, smoke out of left side exhaust when accelerating, smells like gas when idling. Then it went back to normal... Then an hour later it started doing it again and it's not going back to normal.

Hooked up cheap-o data reader and see b1o2s1 voltage stuck around 0.100v (b2 jumping around at 0.400-0.800ish). STFT at 50+ for bank1 0 for bank 2. Changed o2 sensor for brand new unit and got no change.

Noticed that one of the pins on old sensor had some corrosion later.

I work too much and haven't a lot of time to deal with this thing so before I take it to someone that's going to charge me an arm and a leg to troubleshoot it I am going to try the following this weekend:

- Check for corrosion on harness side connector and clean.
- check resistance on wires to make sure there is no shorts in wires

Is there anything else that you guys can suggest to help me solve this? I know that I should see 12v on the heater wire to the sensor, but what voltage should I see on the signal supply wire? Since it's a 1v sensor, should I see 1v?

Any pointers, recommendations, anything would be appreciated!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Teching In

bump please help? is there another section that this may receive more replies in ?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Teching In

after some more troubleshooting it appears that the entire left bank is just not firing any cylinders... maybe intermittantly a cylinder will fire.. but not even enough to get the headers hot... im guessing this is a wiring thing, but have no idea where to begin looking for the problem.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default help

is it possible for you to have an electrical gremlin? there may be a short in your driver side coil pack harness. i would try to reproduce this driver side issue so that the problem can be repaired. electrical gremlins can come from many places. goo luck. if all else fail you can always purchase a new harness.

Quick Reply: 5.3 in 87 c10 shortbed o2 sensor problems