Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repalce Steering column or install a floor shifter????

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Repalce Steering column or install a floor shifter????

Ok guy's getting started on the Belair and I have run into a little bit of a snag. Original bench seat car and I am trying to decide weather or not to install a floor shifter kinda like the B&M Pro Stick or a Lokar billet one or bite the bullet and buy a replacement column from IdidIt with a column shift & tilt?????? Decisions..... Looking for opinions /thoughts .
http://static.speedwaymotors.com//RS...t/491670_T.jpg
http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/i...ts/80706_m.jpg
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...0620030_ml.jpg
Old 05-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like lokar quality my self over b&m . last one from b&m I had years ago sucked .

I have a Lokar 23" Nostalgia Shifter in midnight black in my plow truck . fits perfect up threw old 4 speed hole and with stock boot on it . . . it fools so many people thinking its a 4 speed still when its auto now.

your setup the 23" might be a bit to tall . but my 73-87 truck fits perfect.

if lokar try these guys . can order and upgrade and save at same time . http://www.rjays.com/Lokar/lok-nos-shifters-01.htm
Old 05-24-2014, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really comes down to what you want.. all three are valid solution s.. Question would be to ask yourself is what you are what type of build and driving you plan on doing ?
If cruising on the street/highways... and dont require to advantage and function of the floor shifter, the go with a updated streeting column. But if you think the added functions of going to a floor shifter is an advantage for the style of your driving... then you have you answer.

On my Nova build, if left the cloumn, but had to re-design the linkages, mounting points and arms due to the headers and placement of the engine and trans.. just something you might encounter and have to deal with. Both Lokar and Shiftworks has kits that can help with these types of problems.

Good luck

BC
Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Column shifter cleans up the floor BUT there is a small problem with a neutral safety switch. Lokar shifters have a switch in them but you must come up with something for a column shifter. I used the factory switch that bolts over the trans. shifter shaft and run it tru a relay. In round numbers column shifter will cost $600 and floor $200. If you go with a new column maybe new joints and stainless D shaft, column dimmer switch and ... Floor shifter maybe a small console and cup holders and...
Old 05-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If you ever decide to add a rack and pinion you should go floor shifted column. Most companies design their system around floor shifted columns and column shifted columns won't mount to their hardware.

Just an FYI for future reference. If I put a rack and pinion in my Nova I have to find a new column because Unisteer designed their kit around the floor shifted column
Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at the B&M Quicksilver. The stick stays centered for better seat clearance.

Quick Reply: Repalce Steering column or install a floor shifter????