Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI EZ-TCU, 4L80E, '04 5.3l. wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI EZ-TCU, 4L80E, '04 5.3l. wiring question

hey guys, sorry if it's been answered before, i searched and didn't really find what i needed. Ive got an '89 suburban that i'm swapping an '04 DBW 5.3l and a 4l80e into, i'm using a TCI EZ-TCU to control my trans. i need a throttle signal and a tach signal for the TCI unit.

which wire do i tap into for a throttle signal?

my engine harness has a tach signal wire, i'm gonna tap into that and see if the TCI handheld has a setting to use the 4cyl tach signal. if it doesn't i'm not sure what i'll do.

any help is greatly appreciated, i'm new to LSX swaps.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are 3 pins. One has ground, one has 5v (key on), the one you want to tap is the third wire.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would need to tap into the wires between the throttle body and the TAC module, the throttle body actualy has two sensors, I assume for safety with the DBW system. Sensor one is pins B, F, and E, sensor 2 is pins D, G, and H, at the throttle body connector. B and D are the respective grounds, F and G are the sensor outputs, and E and H are 5v reference signals. You should be able to tap into either set of wires to get the signal you need. They only thing I might worry about is the TCI unit increasing the current draw on the 5v reference too high, but that is unlikely.

Just out of curiosity why aren't you just using the GM computer to control the trans, it can do so just fine, just have whoever is doing your base tune set it up for the trans you have.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jkr266
You would need to tap into the wires between the throttle body and the TAC module, the throttle body actualy has two sensors, I assume for safety with the DBW system. Sensor one is pins B, F, and E, sensor 2 is pins D, G, and H, at the throttle body connector. B and D are the respective grounds, F and G are the sensor outputs, and E and H are 5v reference signals. You should be able to tap into either set of wires to get the signal you need. They only thing I might worry about is the TCI unit increasing the current draw on the 5v reference too high, but that is unlikely.

Just out of curiosity why aren't you just using the GM computer to control the trans, it can do so just fine, just have whoever is doing your base tune set it up for the trans you have.
thanks!

i got my engine from BD Turnkey engines, they told me they cannot setup a 5.3L computer to run a 4L80E, so i bought a TCI unit. i later found out that other tuners can set up my ECM to run the trans but i've already got the TCI system installed on the truck and i kinda like some of the options it gives me. this whole build has been a learning experience, there are things i could have done differently to save money and time that i'm a little too late for now.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We set one up on a bud's carb'ed swap, it went smooth with one exception. The TPS cannot show 0 volts at closed throttle or it'll never calibrate and will always show an error. It needs to show some (however small) positive value. Prolly won't be an issue since yours will be adjusted for throttle (ECM) first. Just file that away for future reference in case you have any trouble...
Old 05-31-2014, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
We set one up on a bud's carb'ed swap, it went smooth with one exception. The TPS cannot show 0 volts at closed throttle or it'll never calibrate and will always show an error. It needs to show some (however small) positive value. Prolly won't be an issue since yours will be adjusted for throttle (ECM) first. Just file that away for future reference in case you have any trouble...
ok, thanks!

Quick Reply: TCI EZ-TCU, 4L80E, '04 5.3l. wiring question