Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New guy needs help....

Hey you guys, I,m new to the LS crowd and I have some entry level questions.
I was wondering if you guys could help get started ??...

1. Does the term "LSX" refer to the LS family of engines or is there an engine series LSX?

2. Is 2012 the 5th generation ?

3. If I intend to limit my HP to around 500HP, do you guys think a 90mm TB will work or should I bump it up? A vette engine fell in my lap and this is a budget build for sure. If I need the bigger stuff I don't mind but only if I need it. I want the motor to be happy.

4. What operating temps should I expect at around 500HP ? 200, 210 ? My old muscle runs at 185 to 195 and starts getting uncomfortable above 195. What is the range for the LS3 ?

Many thanks to you guys for tuning me up on this, I am hyped up about the new power and I want to get it right... More questions to come..lol..
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SHRIKE427
Hey you guys, I,m new to the LS crowd and I have some entry level questions.
I was wondering if you guys could help get started ??...

1. Does the term "LSX" refer to the LS family of engines or is there an engine series LSX?

2. Is 2012 the 5th generation ?

3. If I intend to limit my HP to around 500HP, do you guys think a 90mm TB will work or should I bump it up? A vette engine fell in my lap and this is a budget build for sure. If I need the bigger stuff I don't mind but only if I need it. I want the motor to be happy.

4. What operating temps should I expect at around 500HP ? 200, 210 ? My old muscle runs at 185 to 195 and starts getting uncomfortable above 195. What is the range for the LS3 ?

Many thanks to you guys for tuning me up on this, I am hyped up about the new power and I want to get it right... More questions to come..lol..
1. LSx refers to the engine family. There is an LSX block made by GM designed mostly for big cube LS engines, but people will usually specify the GM LSX block when talking about it.

2. No. The new LT series engines are 5th generation.

3. 90mm TB flows enough CFM for 750 HP N/A.

4. Operating temps will be whatever you want them to be. If you have an LS3, its already making ~425 HP and is aluminum block aluminum heads. You can get 500 HP with just a can swap. Your thermostat and what temp your fans kick on will determine operating temps. It could be 160 if you want it to be.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Specifically which engine do you have?
As for temps, most of the answer is in the tuning in the PCM. Most of the later LS PCM's don't switch the fans till 200 degrees. My supercharged LQ4 runs 195-200 all day long AC or not.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks Joe, Thanks Goat ( I have a 67' Firebird )...

My buddy hooked me up with a 2012 corvette engine but it only has block, heads water pump, and coils. He is helping me out with some ods and ends, he gave me a vette water pmp also...

Yeah Joe, he said it was a factory 430 horse motor.. I think a cam and spring is all I will need...

I'm gonna' go pick the motor up later this week and get it in my shop. I'll know more when I get it here...

Thank you very much you guys for helping me... stay tuned !...
Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sounds like a good score. As you already know you will need a pile of parts to make it complete. Once you get an inventory the group here can tell you what else you will need. Yes it is worth doing.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Teching In

I have been thinking about it for years as I drive my car most days and even though it runs really good and the A/C is ice cold, it really is a bit unhappy on the crappy fuel. There are a whole host of other issues with 42 year old muscle that I know you guys are aware of. The LS power, fuel economy and dependability are undeniable... It might take me a while to get it swapped but I know I will be glad I did it. I have a 5.3 silverado that we just love, it has been a great truck, 300K on it!!...

Last edited by SHRIKE427; 06-10-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: New guy needs help....