Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck 6l80e with 2006 ls2 gears shift points?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck 6l80e with 2006 ls2 gears shift points?

Ok, so I assume these can be used together? How critical is the gearing and shift points in the 6l80e as far as keeping it reliable and working for the longevity? Does the trans TCM need to be fine-tuned to the exact gear ratio that the swap car will be using? Or is there an acceptable % variation? Example I assume the TCM is programmed to the trucks final drive ratio which is way different than the vet trans would have had. I planning to install this combo in a 1955 nomad and can play with tire sizes and rear end gear ratios but my options are limited. I can get close but not exact. Refer to picture below this is the factory truck ratio on the left compared to the planned nomad setup on the right.
Thanks
Rocky

Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can (need) change the gear ratio in the software. Also tire diameter. Usually about a 1/2" less than the advertised diameter. So if you have a 26" tire enter 25.5" in the software. I would also have someone with experience change some of the parameters for the transmission.

The 6L80 mainly uses mph for shifting the transmission even though there is a spot to enter the rpm shift point. For wide open throttle usually 10mph less than what you want it to actually shift at. This may vary some but a good starting point.

Bottom line is get the wheels, tires and gear ratio you want and don't worry about it. It can all be accommodated in the software to what you select.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
You can (need) change the gear ratio in the software. Also tire diameter. Usually about a 1/2" less than the advertised diameter. So if you have a 26" tire enter 25.5" in the software. I would also have someone with experience change some of the parameters for the transmission.

The 6L80 mainly uses mph for shifting the transmission even though there is a spot to enter the rpm shift point. For wide open throttle usually 10mph less than what you want it to actually shift at. This may vary some but a good starting point.

Bottom line is get the wheels, tires and gear ratio you want and don't worry about it. It can all be accommodated in the software to what you select.
OK I will be sending this off to have done. I know in the ls1 this was all done in the PCM. Are you saying I will need to pull the TCM from the trans and have it sent it in along with my engine PCM and harness? Or are these set in the PCM for the LS2 58x just like the ls1 tune? I'm not a tuner nor do I have the software do do so. There are dyno tune shops here local but I dont know any tuners that I would trust for a swap harness.
Thanks
Rocky
Old 06-12-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a stock L92 and 6L80 (2008 from Escalade / Denali) in my '51, which I installed.

I'm super happy. I had the trans gone through with just stock clutches / steels and added the sonnax line pressure booster kit and the updated pump, which uses different seals. You get this with a newer 6L80 or GM reman. Maybe 2010 or later. Can't remember.

I just changed to these new wheels and didn't reprogram the trans with the new wheel size. They were a few % smaller in diameter. Made no difference in shift points (arguably / noticeably), but I did have to reprogram my speedo.

I run a 3.5 to 1 9" and have 285 / 35 / 18 tires. It does shift a lot and quickly when not hard on the gas. I'm in sixth gear by about 30 or 35 mph and 1k rpm.

I didn't upgrade to a higher stall converter, but think that might be worth considering.

Doug
PS - I'd been told not to dial out all of the torque management or that can be hard on longevity. My tuner dialed out some, but not all. Note, the TCM has to be either tuned with the drivetrain in the car up and running through the OBDII port or removed from the trans and shipped (unless you have someone who can do it locally).
Attached Thumbnails Truck 6l80e with 2006 ls2 gears shift points?-dsc_0842.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are good tuners in Texas and Louisianna. I guess it depends on where you live as to how far away they are. If necessary I would just get it basically running and then either drive it or haul it to a good tuner.

As stated above they can tune both through the ALDL port. A good tuner will do wonders for both the motor and transmission. At this point I would just continue on with the build and look into who is the best tuner nearest you. Also a nice converter will help wake up the car. I have a Yank SS3200 and it drives real nice.

Quick Reply: Truck 6l80e with 2006 ls2 gears shift points?