Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Swap Is Stalling In Hot Weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F150 Swap Is Stalling In Hot Weather

I have a 1998 F150 with a 5.3. The swap has been running great with extended 100 mile plus trips for about 8 months. This is it's first summer and it definitely does not like bumper to bumper traffic in 90 plus degree heat. It will stall out and need a cool down period before it fires. Upon firing,it stammers a bit and then runs. Power seems to be down at that point but it will drive fine for about 15 minutes then stalls again. The coolant temp never gets above 210 degrees. The truck is using the stock F150 return system. I did install a new high volume fuel pump because I was worried the stock F150 pump couldn't hold the needed fuel pressure for a LS motor. I did clean the tank out and install a new filter but the asphalt type lining was flaking off a bit. It is a Chinese made fuel pump. The stock fuel lines come within 4" of the headers for a short 12" run but it's a return system and you would think that wouldn't heat the gas enough to cause this.

Not 100% sure this isn't an ignition problem. No codes thrown. Open to ideas where I need to check. Thanks!!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

There is a couple ways to adapt a cheap mechanical gauge at the fuel rail if you think you're having fuel pressure issues.

Another thing I would look at is IAT's. Mine heatsoaks like a **** in traffic. Starts pulling timing out and dumping fuel. Maybe your tune isn't dialed in for high IAT's

You got a log of when it happens?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
There is a couple ways to adapt a cheap mechanical gauge at the fuel rail if you think you're having fuel pressure issues.

Another thing I would look at is IAT's. Mine heatsoaks like a **** in traffic. Starts pulling timing out and dumping fuel. Maybe your tune isn't dialed in for high IAT's

You got a log of when it happens?
I do have a nice fuel gauge. Just have to pack it with me on drives. I haven't logged anything as of yet. I do have a cold air intake but it's routed in the engine compartment. I really need to get it to a cooler air charge. My mail order tune assumed an outside air source so a high IAT is a real possibility. Thanks....gives me a good start.

Quick Reply: F150 Swap Is Stalling In Hot Weather