Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping an LS1

Hi, I am new to the LS1 community. Anyway, due to the endless struggle with my tpi system and the fact that my block is a reman which is currently burning oil (slowly, but surely), I have decided to go for a swap sometime soon.
To lay it out, my parents and I have already spent quite a bit on the body and some on the engine. On a college kids budget, this car seems to have a never ending thirst quench for parts and money.

Now as it sits, it is a bit of a driver. My dad swapped the block to a 350 from a 305 two decades ago, but other than that he left it alone (literally). I recently upgraded the electronics to run a 350 as before, from the injectors to the prom/memcal it was a 305. Now I after battling a vacuum leak for two months and a faulty pressure regulator, and now leaky injectors (I think), I am just about fed up. O2 crosscounts 230, IAC 0-15 and block learn is 140-150. Not to mention that my 700 R-4 is also troubled. It happens to be the car's 5th or 6th tranny.

Anyway, it has problems idling under load with block learn values around 140 and O2 crosscounts at 230 and IAC at 0-15.

I have been educating myself on the ls motors and the swap in general. I know that I will have to have my harness modified or do it myself as I like wires. I know that I will have to notch the k-member, which I would ask my dad for help with. I also know that I will have to modify the A/C system. Also I am no mechanic (My dad is the one that works on cars, I learn what I can), but I have had a lot of hands on experience with this drivetrain. For instance: I had the tranny out twice (shop did the others) I also changed my engine oil pan and front seal which was pretty involved. I have also had the plenum and fuel rail apart more times than I want to count.

So with all this said what am I missing/ forgetting with regards to doing a swap. (I want a basic ls1 with a 4l60e- something reliable, powerful, and new, but if I can't have the ls, I will gladly take the lt-1 with 4l60e

And would I be over my head with this?

Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the forum Alex. You don't mention what sort of car you want to swap into, that would help folks give you advice. First thing I suggest that you do is look through the "stickys" at the top of the forum and read those that apply to your project. Also the forum has a very good search tool that will enable you to find answers to frequently asked questions. LS1 swaps are not that difficult, especially with the support available in the aftermarket now. When you do ask questions try to make them as specific as possible and provide enough info for folks to give you a good answer. Good luck with your project.

Pat

PS, I see now that you have a 1988 Trans Am
Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see a car listed, but I'm going to guess its a third gen F-body car from the description. I don't have one, but I see people getting directed to this site alot:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/
Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alex722607
Also I am no mechanic (My dad is the one that works on cars, I learn what I can), but I have had a lot of hands on experience with this drivetrain. For instance: I had the tranny out twice (shop did the others) I also changed my engine oil pan and front seal which was pretty involved. I have also had the plenum and fuel rail apart more times than I want to count.

So with all this said what am I missing/ forgetting with regards to doing a swap. (I want a basic ls1 with a 4l60e- something reliable, powerful, and new, but if I can't have the ls, I will gladly take the lt-1 with 4l60e

And would I be over my head with this?
Welcome aboard Alex!! Given what you've mentioned above, I think that this swap is probably well within the capabilities that you & your dad have already shown. Basically, you'll have to mount the engine & transmission (you guys are already familiar with that, & off-the-shelf parts are available), do a bit of fabrication to the fuel & exhaust systems (again, those usually aren't insanely difficult), and tie the engine control systems in with the rest of the car - links like this one and this one make that a lot easier.

It sounds to me like you're working on an '82 to '92 Camaro or Firebird, & those are some of the more-common recipients for these swaps, so parts generally aren't too difficult to find, & information is plentiful. You can click on the image in my signature to go to my build thread (which is useful for showing many of the ways NOT to do things), you can search this forum for the term 'thirdgen' (or variants of that term, like 'third gen', 3rdgen, etc.), OR you can also check out the LTx/LSx swap forum on TGO (as mentioned by "noobz" above. Good luck, & if you decide to go through with the swap, make sure to create a build thread for it so we can follow along!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I definitely will create a build thread. I found some stuff on TGO, as for parts though the classifieds here are better. I just purchased a 2002 ls1 harness from a Camaro as well as a 4L60E harness (b/c)the engine harness is for a manual. I do have to say that my dad is not that thrilled with this whole idea. Also I have virtually no space to do this. But I don't really have a choice my remanned SBC is a rebuild and my tpi intake likes to create holes in my wallet. I just need a good excuse to convince my dad that I need to stick an LS1 in.
PS. He wanted me to get rid of this car and get a 99-02 firebird- I don't like the body style though.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

So let me update this thread. It will serve as my build thread on LS1 tech, for those that are on TGO, I have a thread there as well.

I managed to get myself a 2003 5.3 chevy motor from a truck. I had an LS1 intake and recently acquired a 1999 trans am gas tank. I stripped the engine down to the pistons and found out that the engine was burning oil. Because I didn't do a compression test prior to the strip, I had no way of knowing whether it was the heads or piston rings. My dad and I both thought it was the heads.

I priced out a rebuild of the heads around me and buying a reman set from rockauto came out cheaper.

So I now have 862 heads, an LS1 intake, a gas tank and an engine that I just cleaned up.

I ordered Victor Reinz gaskets and have been compiling parts from this thread and from TGO.

On that list is a crossmember with adapter plates (still need motor mounts), wiring harnesses which ran altogether 350 (by that I mean 2002 interior harness, engine harness, and underhood fuse box harness), an LT1 radiator with provisions for a coolant level sensor (which my dash needs), a pan and f-body accessories for 480 which are hopefully on their way and arp head bolts, a dipstick and a couple other things from another member which I haven't heard from in a couple days. (Everyone's busy this time of year)

I have on order a new oil pump from melling and a timing chain kit from jegs because the LM7 had 10 degrees of slop in the chain.

Quick Reply: Swapping an LS1