Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Default 1967 Cougar build (over 700 pictures and videos)

I have waited a long time to get this project moving, and it is time to get it documented.

I bought this car back in 2010 and it has been waiting for my personal touch ever since. The car has a neat history and I am anxious to get my first "Ford" under way. I bought the car from the step-father of my ex-girlfriend. Funny how life presents you with certain opportunities, right?

This is a car that was originally customized in the early 70s. The story is that Phil (my ex-GF's step-father) customized this car with the help of his father (Phil Sr.) around 1972. Phil Sr. was somehow affiliated with the local Ford dealership and thus they had access to a host of Ford parts. The Ford aficionados among you will spot various, high performance, highly sought after Ford parts in the original car. I won't give away all the secrets, but hopefully people will chime in as they spot the parts.

The theme (or the philosophy of use) of this car is that of an Old Skool street/strip car. Think of it as a throw back to the late 1980s to early 1990s "street machine." I have been a member of this community for over 10 years and this seems like the perfect place to post this project.

As Tony Soprano would say "enough with the preambles..." Here are some pictures of the car as it was when I first got it and as it sits today....

This is the state of the car as it is now. The engine that came with the car is gone and will be replaced by something that I am much more familiar with.

No doubt you all recognize this particular engine...

I absolutely love the patina on this car and I will do all I can to preserve it...

Stay tuned for more updates as this car gets custom engine mounts with the help of Schwarts Performance and Holley exhaust manifolds...

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 02-13-2017 at 02:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Purcell169 (01-02-2024)
Old 08-22-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

F'awesome! Subscribed.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice. The best fords are Chevrolet powered.

Do the original sequential tail lights still work?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Nice. The best fords are Chevrolet powered.

Do the original sequential tail lights still work?
Yes, everything on the car works. The plan is to keep this build simple and just have a car that I can drive anywhere.

Andrew
Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no a Ford expert, but I see a factory oil cooler and a tach drive distributor.

Man that was a cool car back in the day.

Last edited by GonHuntin; 08-23-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GonHuntin
I'm no a Ford expert, but I see a factory oil cooler and a tach drive distributor.

Man that was a cool car back in the day.
You're partially right. That is a factory "Drag Pack" oil cooler that was an option on various Mustangs. The tach drive distributor was an old Mallory dual point.

I really want to keep the Stewart Warner mechanical tach in the car, but aside from installing the GM Performance front distributor drive system, I don't know how else to do it.

Anyone have any ideas how to electronically drive a mechanical tach? Some sort of motor that spins at half the engine RPM like a distributor used to do...

Andrew
Old 08-23-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wanted to use as many OEM style parts as possible. This makes getting replacement parts easier and I like how the newer parts are designed.

When I built my RX7 the swap kit for that was designed around 4th gen F-body motor mounts. I really liked the clamshell design that allowed for good vibration control and at the same time are almost indestructible. So for this build I decided to use the same motor mounts.

The oil pan is a front sump pan from a 04-06 Pontiac GTO. These pans are almost identical in dimension to the stock early small block Ford pans.

Customer headers are not in the budget and from doing some research it didn't look like any stock manifolds were going to work very well. The issue is the width, not only between the shock towers, but also down at the frame rails. The Cougars (and Mustangs) had a rear steer arrangement and the steering box sits right along the frame and creates problems for exhaust routing.

I decided to try the Holley cast exhaust manifolds because they are narrow, tuck really close to the engine and are designed to dump the exhaust towards the rear of the engine. The engine had to be offset a little towards the passenger side in order for the exhaust to clear the stock steering box.

As you can see, the clearance is a little tighter on the passenger side:

Andrew
Old 08-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
You're partially right. That is a factory "Drag Pack" oil cooler that was an option on various Mustangs. The tach drive distributor was an old Mallory dual point.

I really want to keep the Stewart Warner mechanical tach in the car, but aside from installing the GM Performance front distributor drive system, I don't know how else to do it.

Anyone have any ideas how to electronically drive a mechanical tach? Some sort of motor that spins at half the engine RPM like a distributor used to do...

Andrew
Andrew

I meant that the oil cooler was a factory Ford part……..figured the tach drive distributor was aftermarket since I've never seen a factory ford tach drive distributor.

Hope you can find a way to retain the mechanical tach!

Did you look at GTO exhaust manifolds?? Just wonder if they tuck in close enough to fit??

My son and I are working on a '73 Mustang project and an LS swap has been discussed…….thinking factory exhaust manifold might work since the engine bay is wider on the 71-73??

Thanks for the info on the oil pan, I wondered if the GTO pan would work……I need to do some more research and see if it will work on the 73.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Andrew

I meant that the oil cooler was a factory Ford part……..figured the tach drive distributor was aftermarket since I've never seen a factory ford tach drive distributor.

Hope you can find a way to retain the mechanical tach!

Did you look at GTO exhaust manifolds?? Just wonder if they tuck in close enough to fit??

My son and I are working on a '73 Mustang project and an LS swap has been discussed…….thinking factory exhaust manifold might work since the engine bay is wider on the 71-73??

Thanks for the info on the oil pan, I wondered if the GTO pan would work……I need to do some more research and see if it will work on the 73.
I plan to use the Holley EFI system on this build. It doesn't require a cam sensor, so what I may do is get the GM distributor drive front cover and find a vintage distributor to drive the tach. It'll even make it look like a Ford engine and I can route the plug wires under some coil covers just to throw off the general public.

The factory oil coolers sell for stupid money on eBay...

I never tried the GTO manifolds. I think they exit kind of funny, but I am not sure.

Andrew
Old 08-23-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thought I would post a few more pictures.

The new GTO pan fits these cars like a glove. There is plenty of clearance all around the crossmember. Also in this picture you can see the custom mounts that were made by the Schwartz crew. The U-shaped brackets are welded directly to the bolt on plates that used to hold the SBF mounts. It's a simple design but one that will work very well.

Here is a shot of the driver's side mount:

What I am really impressed with is how well the Hooker cast manifolds fit this chassis. I realize that these manifolds are note early meant for any specific application, but their compact design and rear exit makes them suited to a wide range of applications where room in limited. I also recall that long tube headers don't add a significant amount of power LS engines that are relatively mild. If I want to make more power, I guess I can always turn them around :smoke:

The manifolds take a 2.5" head pipe and use readily available flanges and gaskets. Here is the passenger side:

Space it tight on the driver's side due to the steering rack, but it all fits:

Andrew
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

How about a few more pictures...

Changing the oil filter will be a snap!

Driver's side engine mount...

Modified stock transmission crossmember. It remains to be seem if it will work with a TKO 600...

Passenger side motor mounts from the front. As you can see there is plenty of room between the manifolds and the shock towers.

Passenger side motor mount from the rear:

Another shot of the driver's side engine mount from the rear:

Overall shot from underneath the car. As you can see it is a pretty solid car and doesn't have any sort of rust issues...

Stay tuned for more...

Andrew
Old 08-24-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Looks awesome so far, keep up the good work.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Great photos and info!

Do you think low mount accessories (f-body) would fit??

Last edited by GonHuntin; 08-24-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Great photos and info!

Do you think low mount accessories (f-body) would fit??
I don't see why not. There is basically nothing in front of the engine besides the radiator. With the steering box in the back it makes for ample space in the front. This is purely speculation, so don't take it as gospel. I will be using the Holley high mount alternator bracket. This car has manual steering so there is no need for a power steering pump. This will also leave room, just in case I get crazy and decide to turn the exhaust manifolds backwards...

Andrew
Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Subscribed.......
Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed also
Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

So...I have been racking my brain about wheels and tires...and more specifically fitment in the rear...

The interweb is not giving up the secrets so easily...

I want to know if I can run a 275/60-15 in the rear on a 15x8 wheel with 4" BS...

I got a line on some old "turbine" wheels (think Dukes of Hazzard) in that size and I am trying to figure out if they will fit...

Anyone have a clue?

Andrew
Old 09-07-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

So I had a chance to have a little time with my Cougar today. I took a few pictures of the rear suspension and I would love to know what some of the Ford experts see. I am not at all familiar with this chassis, so I don't know what is "stock" and what has been altered.

There are some older looking traction bars on the car. They look similar to CalTrak bars, but obviously they aren't. Does anyone have any idea as to their origins? I also see a booster spring on the driver's side...

Also, can anyone confirm that this is a 9" rear? LOL

Andrew
Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was Googling around a little bit and found information on the traction bars. Looks like they are:

They seem to have a "street" and "strip" mode. Right now mine are in the street mode, since the rear bolt is missing.

Andrew
The following users liked this post:
Purcell169 (01-02-2024)
Old 09-08-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I want to make more power, I guess I can always turn them around :smoke:
There is basically nothing in front of the engine besides the radiator. With the steering box in the back it makes for ample space in the front. This is purely speculation, so don't take it as gospel. I will be using the Holley high mount alternator bracket. This car has manual steering so there is no need for a power steering pump. This will also leave room, just in case I get crazy and decide to turn the exhaust manifolds backwards...

Andrew
I can see where this is going... and I like it. Keep the pics coming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)