Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Gen V project...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Somewhat off topic but do you happen to know if the LV3 is an odd or even fire motor? I was looking for this info but can't seem to find it...you're the only one I know of messing with one currently but I'm interested for a future swap.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am going from memory because the motor is sealed up in a bag currently but it does not have split crank pins, and has a 90 degree bank angle so I am going to go with oddfire.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

cool, thanks for the info...I'm interested to hear how smooth these run. I haven't had a chance to check one out in the new trucks...
Old 02-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Default LV3 swap

You have a very ambitious project going with the GenV v6 engine. I have done a bit of research on the LV3 and found out a few things of interest. While all the US and Canadian light trucks are sold with automatic transmissions, the 4.3 engine is available in Mexico with a five-speed manual transmission. I have a strong hunch that the Mexican transmission is a NV3500. The LV3 is also being marketed as a marine engine, which comes with a very automotive-looking flywheel. So far the only aftermarket "speed equipment" I have seen for this engine is an alternative air intake, shorty headers, and an exhaust system. Oddly, the LV3 is not sold as a crate engine. Keep up the good work, and let's see an update!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by motorjones
You have a very ambitious project going with the GenV v6 engine. I have done a bit of research on the LV3 and found out a few things of interest. While all the US and Canadian light trucks are sold with automatic transmissions, the 4.3 engine is available in Mexico with a five-speed manual transmission. I have a strong hunch that the Mexican transmission is a NV3500. The LV3 is also being marketed as a marine engine, which comes with a very automotive-looking flywheel. So far the only aftermarket "speed equipment" I have seen for this engine is an alternative air intake, shorty headers, and an exhaust system. Oddly, the LV3 is not sold as a crate engine. Keep up the good work, and let's see an update!
If you want to use a manual trans, I suspect that the flywheel off the LT1 would work on the LV3.

Andrew
Old 03-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Teching In

In the GM Powertrain website, there is one of David Kimble's cutaway drawings of the gen v LV3 V6 engine. It shows the offset crank throws for the front pair of cylinders, and the balance shaft with it's chain drive. While the gen v engine is all new in execution, both of these features are carry-overs from the LU 3 (cast iron) engine. However dated the LU3 design was, neither the offset crank throws or the balance shaft kept it from racking up a lot of reliable miles.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to continue to tag along here as you have time to work. I have purchased one of these along with the transmission. For now my plan is to keep it the way it is for a start. I hope it all comes together.
Dave
Old 05-06-2016, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know you are busy with house building but was curious if you had any progress to report on. I need to start on mine. I am working to get it set in the car then will pull it out and sort thru the wiring.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Still in hibernation. House is getting close though. We should be all settled in and the shop finished up by the end of summer. I plan to get back on it then. On a slightly more immediate note, My SS has just today finally arrived in country. The dealer called me this afternoon. I ordered it in November, So I guess it really does take 6 months for them to get here, but driving that should hold me over till I can get back working on the buggy.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Standalone question.

Great work your doing here and hope the house is coming alone well!

How do you plan to address the deletion of VATS and the new security barriers GM has begun implementing.

I'm currently considering a new LFX engine, but I have not found anyone that can defeat the security measures in the system. Seem like the only way to do a standalone is to install the BCM and "other modules" to get the engine running. Doable but not very appealing.

Does this engine control system not have this issue?

Not exactly on topic but would value your insight if any.

Thanks again
Tom
Old 06-27-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tom2T
Great work your doing here and hope the house is coming alone well!

How do you plan to address the deletion of VATS and the new security barriers GM has begun implementing.

I'm currently considering a new LFX engine, but I have not found anyone that can defeat the security measures in the system. Seem like the only way to do a standalone is to install the BCM and "other modules" to get the engine running. Doable but not very appealing.

Does this engine control system not have this issue?

Not exactly on topic but would value your insight if any.

Thanks again
Tom
Can you talk about what specific security measures you are speaking of? I know there is at least one LV3 running in a buggy as well as plenty of LFX's. Just shut the VATS off, and configure the fuel pump controller mode for your specific configuration. All are options available in HPTuners. IF you are running an automatic, you are in uncharted territory for me, everything I have swapped has been manuals, but I can imagine it wouldn't be too diffiicult to sort out.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am also have the same understanding as 96 Comp that this can all be shut off with tuning. I am very close to firing mine up. I have most of the harness work done, for now I am just going to have the fuel pump in the tank come on as commanded and wont be monitoring the pressures or anything. I hope this all works but I believe I am close.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did have a question on the exhaust manifolds, I am planning on running the factory manifolds unless you have found an alternative but I need the "collector" or whatever it is called that connects to the 3 bolts on the manifolds to the exhaust pipe. Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

I was going to build some headers, but you could build a flange pretty easy.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Standalone Question

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
Can you talk about what specific security measures you are speaking of? I know there is at least one LV3 running in a buggy as well as plenty of LFX's. Just shut the VATS off, and configure the fuel pump controller mode for your specific configuration. All are options available in HPTuners. IF you are running an automatic, you are in uncharted territory for me, everything I have swapped has been manuals, but I can imagine it wouldn't be too diffiicult to sort out.
Sorry for the slow reply!

Specifically I'm talking about the "Global A(rchitecture)" being used in the LFX. Yes I am planning on a automatic, but going manual is certainly an option.
I'm seeing posts (moderncamaro forum) that programming hasn't been successful, but would be thrilled to be wrong!

I don't want to pollute your thread with this discussion. Thanks again
Tom
Old 07-23-2016, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
Thanks!

To be honest, I am leaning more towards the remote setup. It would be of great value to me to be able to run two smaller radiators rather than a big single in my application. I am extremely airflow challenged for the radiator with the engine mounted in the back of the car. Mounting a single radiator up high obstructs rearward vision, and the shape of the buggy isn't necessarily ideal from an airflow perspective because with a windshield in the car there is a low pressure area and it pulls through the radiator backward in to the passenger compartment. With split radiators, I can get creative with the ducting.

couldn't you just port the water pump to match it to the LV3 block?
Old 07-24-2016, 12:33 AM
Teching In

any other updates or issues y'all have had doing the LV3 swap? I bought an engine and 6L80 transmission I plan on swapping into a 2011 Colorado!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mikes10ss
couldn't you just port the water pump to match it to the LV3 block?
It's been a little while since I looked at it, but I believe the port mismatch on the bottom port was so big that it was open to the atmosphere on one side or the other. If you had a new water pump, you could weld it up and machine it flat again. Probably cheaper to just buy the spacers from Dirty Dingo.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went you a pm on the oil pan I would like to get mine cut down a well. I need to get the fuel compensator sensor and figure out the wiring for that.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Hello. Bringing this back from the dead. I have an LV3 out of a 2014 Silverado that I am putting in my 71 Commando. My goal is to put a SM465/Dana 20 behind it. I know there are a few running a manual trans. Hoping for some input before I order a LSA flywheel. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New Gen V project...