Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 c2 LQ9 conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996 c2 LQ9 conversion questions

About to start this swap and the engine i bought(05 escalade lq9) had a super cut up harness, no tb, and no ecm. I know i need to run a standalone harness, but unsure as to what computer, tb, etc i should use. I have done alot of engine swaps on other makes and models, but this is my first lsx swap. Should i buy a standalone harness specific to a vortec truck with dbw and buy a matching escalade tb and ecu to match or would i be better off with a different route? I am sticking with dbw for sure, will be most likely using the porsche pedal, and swapping to a ls1 intake. Also what would be my best bet for tuning options on this? Any advantages for this going with hp tuners over efi live in this situation? Does it matter? Any help would be great. thanks
Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also starting a similar project. 2001 996 convert, picked up a complete 2005 GTO LS2. I am in the middle of building the motor. Going with CNC LS3 heads with Lunati Valve springs and Cam. Forged Pistons and Rods on the stock crank. Really wanted to go 403 stroker, but feel the trans may not like that stroker torque. I have some similar questions, I know the late LS2 and LS3 EMC work great, both are DBW and have 58X reluctor to work with the Porsche tack. I am currently waiting for my Renagade conversion kit and hope maybe the directions answer some of these questions. I was planning on running a stand alone harness and have picked up a Porsche engine harness. Beings my car was a theft recovery and had no engine.

I am also going to run the stock GM Water Pump and PS Pump, beings I have a builder title I am not worried about cutting on the rear of the car to make things fit.

Cheers, and good luck with your build!!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4LUX
I am also starting a similar project...picked up a complete 2005 GTO LS2...I know the late LS2 and LS3 EMC work great, both are DBW and have 58X reluctor to work with the Porsche tach...
2005/6 LS2 from the GTO have 24x reluctor.

Tipsy
Old 11-17-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant really help you with your questions but it sounds like a fun build! In for pictures!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I have no idea how you'll use a porsche pedal with the GM DBW TB.
Since you have no TB, ecu, harness, and switching to an LS1 intake/injectors, the easiest solution would be purchase a standalone harness and ecu (411) for an 99-02 f body, cable TB. You could do it with the truck harness too but sourcing the pedal/tac/tb, injector plugs, etc would add about an additional $400.
If you're leaving the motor relatively stock, just get the ecu from the vendor already set up for your injectors and a 6.0.

Quick Reply: 996 c2 LQ9 conversion questions