Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body 4L80E crossmember preview

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Default Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body 4L80E crossmember preview

I've had so many requests for information on the new Hooker crossmember for this application that I feel I can more effectively preview the design details and the development/release status of the assembly in a thread instead of trying to stay on top of returning PM messages to those interested in it.

The design phase of the crossmember has been completed and I've assembled and validated the fitment of two physical pre-production prototypes, which is the last operation to be completed before finalizing the drawings and forwarding them to our supplier to push it into the production phase.

This was a very involved design effort due to the fitment/compatibility requirements we had to accomplish and the results have made all the effort worthwhile (now maybe I can get some sleep at night).

I will post photos of the prototype installed in a subframe later today as you may find it useful to view the unique geometry of the assembly to decide if it's something you need for your specific project.

Keep in mind that this crossmember is only designed to be compatible with the Hooker 12618HKR engine mounts like the other Hooker crossmembers for this application are.

Have a great day guys.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Default First look images

As promised earlier, here's shots of the coming Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body LS swap 4L80e/4L85e crossmember; I'm posting general view shots now to give you guys something to look at over the weekend so you can post up any questions you may have regarding its design and/or construction. You guys are a smart bunch, so I think the photos will pretty much me self-explanatory...

Individual components of the assembly

Installed assembly-left side

Installed assembly-right side

Installed assembly- under shot

left side subframe attachment

right side attachment

Transmission isolator position compensator bracket

Mating of compensator bracket/isolator with crossmember
Old 10-31-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Todd it looks nice. Its funny that your posting this, I just got the part number from you guy's when I called the other day. Will a 3" exhaust fit through the reliefs you have on there?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd, this looks great!

I've held off on doing my conversion just waiting for this part and it looks as though the wait has been worth it. Looking forward to this going into production.

Thanks for your hard work.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Motown 454
Hi Todd it looks nice. Its funny that your posting this, I just got the part number from you guy's when I called the other day. Will a 3" exhaust fit through the reliefs you have on there?
I'd be curious to know what someone quoted you as the part number of the crossmember as I've not released it into the system yet. I'll be providing that information here in a couple of weeks, but it's a tad bit early at this point. As far as 3" exhaust accommodation is concerned, yes, it will easily do that as it was one of the primary requirements of the design from the beginning. The arches are in the same exact location as the Hooker 4L60 and T56 crossmembers and allow bolt-in installation of the Hooker LS swap headers and Hooker 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems. The following photo will show you the ground clearance that is provided by the Hooker long-tube headers, crossmembers and 3" exhaust system...I think you'll be hard pressed to find something off the shelf that tops it.

Hooker long tube headers and 3" exhaust on 1968 Camaro

Same system under car
Old 10-31-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by steery
Todd, this looks great!

I've held off on doing my conversion just waiting for this part and it looks as though the wait has been worth it. Looking forward to this going into production.

Thanks for your hard work.
Thanks for the positive support Steery, I think you're really going to enjoy installing and using all the Hooker components in your swap project. I really enjoyed developing parts for this application and look forward to seeing the completed vehicles you guys create with them.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Here's some ground clearance shots I forgot to put up the other day for those interested...

Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice ground clearance. That's very important.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:09 AM
Teching In

Are there any updates on when we can expect to see this on the shelf?
Old 11-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

this is sweet!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by steery
Are there any updates on when we can expect to see this on the shelf?
I honestly don't expect to see the first batch show up from our supplier much before Christmas as typical industry lead times are in effect. Who knows, maybe someone over there will light a fire under their worker's @sses to get it pushed through faster than normal.

I'm at least happy to be done with the development process as it was quite a challenge to hit all the design requirements.

I appreciate the patience of everyone who has shown interest in this product and I can say you will be rewarded for it with a high quality part.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Todd, any idea on pricing yet?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Update 1/15/15

Quite a few of you guys have been sending me PM's for a status report on the release of this component, so I'm going to take a moment here to update everyone in a broad manner here.

I finished the install instructions the other day and the 1st-production run is in-process at the supplier. There have been no issues regarding the production and the only constraint towards completing the run are normal lead times that apply to all our products. I'm following-up with them to get an ETA on the physical parts.

We had to back-up a bit and re-design the shipping box as real-world shipment testing proved the initial box design to be insufficiently capable of getting the crossmember to the customer in presentable condition (the test sample was beat to crap actually). We've worked with our box supplier to resolve the issue and are waiting on new boxes to be produced and delivered.

That's about all I have at the moment, but I can tell you all that we are darn close to getting this project wrapped up and getting these crossmembers on the shelf and available.

Todd
Old 02-06-2015, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

hey Todd

Any update? Any pricing information?

thanks
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

2/20 update- I've received notice from our supplier that the first 25 crossmembers will be delivered to our facility next week with more to follow soon after.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Hey Todd

So, how can i get one and how much are they? Can i get them from summit??

thanks
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jks67ss396
Hey Todd

So, how can i get one and how much are they? Can i get them from summit??

thanks
I'll have more relative information in that regard next week after the documentation is submitted to release the part into our system. Summit will certainly be one source you'll be able to get it from once they get the info from us to be able to enter it into their system.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the update. It's been driving me crazy putting my conversion on hold waiting for this crossmember and had thought about fabbing something up but I'm determined to use the complete system.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

bump. any news?

thanks Todd
Old 03-10-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jks67ss396
bump. any news?

thanks Todd
The first batch of production parts has arrived at our facility in Mississippi, so we are a boxing operation away from having these available for purchase.

Quick Reply: Hooker 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen X-body 4L80E crossmember preview