Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At What Point Are Oil Pan Baffles Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default At What Point Are Oil Pan Baffles Needed?

Long story short, I am going to install the Holley 302-2 pan in my 68 Chevelle. The pan includes a slosh baffle which seems to be sufficient for all but the most hardcore track cars. That said, at what performance level does the "race" trap door baffle kit become a requirement? From my research it looks like generally when 1.XX G forces are regularly encountered on the road course or perhaps when getting real strong 1.2 second 60' times at the strip do the trap door baffles become necessary.

Anyone have any data or thoughts to support?

Background: Car has "pro-touring" suspension, but with street tires I know it will never pull over 1.0 Gs. It's been down the 1/4 mile 4 times in the last decade - ran 11.99 on a 2.0 60'. Future plans may include some drag radials with hopes of knocking a few tenths off the 60' times and perhaps an autocross or two. Not planning on track days with this car.

Last Note: I owned a new 98Z28 many years ago that I took to many track days and high speed autocross. It was very competitive, but never had any issues with the stock pan in that car.

Thanks

Quick Reply: At What Point Are Oil Pan Baffles Needed?