Sponsored by:

4l60e Neutral sfety switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4l60e Neutral sfety switch?

Hey guys,

We are just about ready to put the engine and transmission into the 66 LeMans but I was going over the harness we got from PSI and making sure everything was plugged in, and it is but i found this plug on the side of the transmission. It appears to be cut and there is nothing on my harness to plug into that plug.

I found a company called shiftworks that appears to have a fix-it kit for this.
http://www.shiftworks.com/4lx.htm

but it is just a linkage, I was just wondering if anything needed to be wired back into the plug, or what? I was told by someone that it controlls the reverse lights?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

PHOTO ATTACHED
Attached Thumbnails 4l60e Neutral sfety switch?-img_20141117_192633526.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Neutral safety switch

You are correct in that this is the neutral safety AND backup lights. The reason the plug is cut off is that factory procedure was to add a sealant to that plug which makes it very difficult to get off. To get the plug off use a heat gun and soften the sealant and the plug will come off. If the switch has been distroyed you can get another from your local automotive store. Check the wiring diagram for which wires are used for the neutral safety switch...I did mine but can't remember which they were. Note that the neutral safety wires will show continuity in PARK and Neutral whereas the backup lights in reverse only.

Quick Reply: 4l60e Neutral sfety switch?