Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and need some tips on my Ls1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New and need some tips on my Ls1 swap

Hey guys I'm new here to theLS1tech

I'm also new to this forum style of communication!

My current build the one I just recently started is a 1978 cutlass supreme (Gbody) and my engine that I pulled from a truck is a LS1 6.0L from a 2000 Chev silverado. I have a few question hopeful you can help!

1. I have the wiring and cpu from the truck, also still have the truck! I need to know how or what it will take to use this stock truck wiring computer etc in the cutlass? Build a stand alone harness? How so!

2. I see that the oil pan is big and I've read some people can use it others swap it. I'm low budget on this build so I want too know opinions on wether I can leave it stock or not?

3. The transmission is a 4l60e from the truck but was 4x4... Can I use this in the car? Or should I use somethin else? I have a 700r4 but will it work? Thanks! Any help is appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails New and need some tips on my Ls1 swap-image.jpg  
Old 04-20-2015, 10:59 PM

This is the car 78 cutlass
Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Welcome.Nice Cutlass, I am digging the paint. This site has tons of info. I'm new to swapping as well so maybe someone else can jump in and verify my answers and give a little more detail.

1. For the wiring, you can modify the stock harness to work for your application, lots of people have done it. Lt1swap.com has tons of info about GM harnesses and PCMs.

2. Most people have to either ditch the stock truck pan or chop it. On my stock height Fox body the truck pan was only a few inches off the ground. The most common pan for swapping is the F-body pan.

3. The 4L60 I believe (I have only looked into converting 4L80's from 4x4) can be converted to 2wd but its normally not worth the price. The 700r4 should work (the 4l60 is based off of the 700r4). You might want to look out for the spacing of the flexplate since you may have a long crank. The thread posted here has a ton of info about this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...s-spacers.html

Quick Reply: New and need some tips on my Ls1 swap