Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsa blower swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LsXRs
Are you going to be using the actuator or that solenoid thing on the supercharger on the snout?
Bypass valve, yes. Any PD blower needs one

The boost solenoid is computer controlled and the older LS1 PCMs which I will be using cannot control them. All they do is limit boost under certain circumstances

Very interested in this.
Have an LQ9/T56 for my C3 corvette project.
I want to do a PD blower, and keeping the cost down is always a plus.

Sub'd
Good luck on your swap. I did a LS1/T56 into a 73 vert last year. Lots of fun

With a taller hood I dont see any reason you couldnt pull this off. plenty of room for the FEAD, so your height is the only limiting factor
Old 05-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket

With a taller hood I dont see any reason you couldnt pull this off. plenty of room for the FEAD, so your height is the only limiting factor
Wouldn't happen to have a write-up on that would you? There's a good number of guys that have done it on the CF. I've read them all, and each have their own approach.

Sorry for the thread-jack. Back to LSA superchargers.

I plan on using the L-88 hood for clearance. Wanted to use that hood all along for appearance reasons and to eliminate the wiper door anyways.

With this swap have there been any major obstacles? Like setting up the bypass valve? Is there clearance for the coolant crossover? are there issues with the valley cover or will the LS2/6 cover work?
Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know thisbisnt classifieds but I have a pretty conplete takeoff I would take offers in, I don't want to sell it but circumstances may force it..
Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by phalanx_vette
Wouldn't happen to have a write-up on that would you? There's a good number of guys that have done it on the CF. I've read them all, and each have their own approach.

Sorry for the thread-jack. Back to LSA superchargers.

I plan on using the L-88 hood for clearance. Wanted to use that hood all along for appearance reasons and to eliminate the wiper door anyways.

With this swap have there been any major obstacles? Like setting up the bypass valve? Is there clearance for the coolant crossover? are there issues with the valley cover or will the LS2/6 cover work?
I did a small write up on CF going over small issues rarely discussed. Do a search for my name

Here is a LSx in a C3:

As you can see, there is nothing to interfere with the blower assembly. It just goes up. Wipers, HVAC etc can all stay put. The CTS-V/ZL1 FEAD systems are similar to Fbody LS1, which fits just fine. There is ample room for the balancer to crossmember, so again good fit. I dont see why C5/6 style bracketry wouldnt also work, there is plenty of space. Theres nothing extra from a standard LS1 conversion for a LSA C3

The bypass valve is a non-issue. Bolt it on and make sure the vacuum line is hooked to the top port. The bottom port is for the boost solenoid and is optional for a conversion
Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I did a small write up on CF going over small issues rarely discussed. Do a search for my name
I remember seeing your post on CF. Talking about the unknown issues like the radiator hoses and stuff.

I have both an F-body and the LQ9 FEAD.
I need A/C, I live in the phoenix area, and I know I have to mount it high on the passenger side. I plan on using VA for my HVAC stuff.

So, in your opinion what would be most feasable?
Buy 8 rib truck pulleys, get an A/C relocation and offset the pulley on the SC?
Or sell both of my FEAD's to offset the cost of an LSA balancer, and aftermarket corvette FEAD setup. With AC relocation of course.

The problem I see running into is on the LSA the tensioner for the SC pulley is up where I would be putting my AC bracket.

I hope that my asking these questions and getting answers is helping the OP on his decision making as well.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

You'll need to use a low mount AC compressor with the LSA to keep the stock 8 rib setup

I dont recall there being much in the way of a low mount setup aside from the pass motor mount arm. A welder makes that a small job
Old 06-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Bypass valve, yes. Any PD blower needs one

The boost solenoid is computer controlled and the older LS1 PCMs which I will be using cannot control them. All they do is limit boost under certain circumstances

Hi i am currently putting a lsa in a 86 corvette and had planned on using my 00 6.0 truck pcm but i am reading now that it will not control the boost solenoid, is there any way to use my pcm or will i need one out of lsa vehicle or is there an aftermarket controller???

thanks in adavance!
Old 06-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Default lsa blower swap?

I remember seeing your post on CF. Talking about the unknown issues like the radiator hoses and stuff.

I have both an F-body and the LQ9 FEAD.
I need A/C, I live in the phoenix area, and I know I have to mount it high on the passenger side. I plan on using VA for my HVAC stuff.

So, in your opinion what would be most feasable?
Buy 8 rib truck pulleys, get an A/C relocation and offset the pulley on the SC?
Or sell both of my FEAD's to offset the cost of an LSA balancer, and aftermarket corvette FEAD setup. With AC relocation of course.

The problem I see running into is on the LSA the tensioner for the SC pulley is up where I would be putting my AC bracket.

I hope that my asking these questions and getting answers is helping the OP on his decision making as well.
I've run into this problem on my lsa blower swap as well on my 1960 impala. I believe I've discovered a solution that allows the continued use of the high mount pass ac. street and performance makes a stand alone blower idler that works with their high mount ac bracket using corvette/ctsv spacing. I was running the holley high mount bracket before and running a low mount ac is out of the question at this point. I should have the parts this week to verify fitment. figured the $700 was way cheaper than pulling and moving the motor plus having to modify the engine crossmember.
Attached Thumbnails lsa blower swap?-20150611_110351.jpg  
Old 06-20-2015, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Default lsa blower swap?

Originally Posted by StrLx86
Hi i am currently putting a lsa in a 86 corvette and had planned on using my 00 6.0 truck pcm but i am reading now that it will not control the boost solenoid, is there any way to use my pcm or will i need one out of lsa vehicle or is there an aftermarket controller???

thanks in adavance!
your pcm will work with a custom OS through hp tuners. I think there's a little confusion regarding the bypass valve/ boost control soleniod.
Every pd blower needs the bypass valve to operate. When the valve sees vacuum like at idle, it holds the bypass blade open routing the inlet air around the superchager rotors rather than through it. When throttle occurs and vacuum drops, the valve closes the bypass blade allowing air into the rotors and boost to build. All that it takes to hook up is the vacuum line from the vacuum/boost port on the supercharger lid to the bottom of the bypass diaphragm.
The boost control solenoid is the electronic side and is not required in our application. The e67 ecm uses it to prevent over boosting in certain situations by forcing the bypass valve open under boost.

Last edited by ctsvcaddy; 06-20-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ctsvcaddy
I've run into this problem on my lsa blower swap as well on my 1960 impala. I believe I've discovered a solution that allows the continued use of the high mount pass ac. street and performance makes a stand alone blower idler that works with their high mount ac bracket using corvette/ctsv spacing. I was running the holley high mount bracket before and running a low mount ac is out of the question at this point. I should have the parts this week to verify fitment. figured the $700 was way cheaper than pulling and moving the motor plus having to modify the engine crossmember.
I am 110% interested in the outcome. Please share on here when you get them in and at least test fit.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Default lsa blower swap?

Received the AC and SC brackets from S&P today. Plan on doing a test fit this afternoon.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

sweet, let us know.

And if it does work I'd like the part #'s you ordered.
I went through S&P's catalog and it's a lot to scroll through.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

alright well i got my hands on another blower finally. are any of you guys running these with all the lsa accesories? Or you all piecing it together.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LsXRs
alright well i got my hands on another blower finally. are any of you guys running these with all the lsa accesories? Or you all piecing it together.
My plan is to find a factory LSA balancer on Ebay - see them in the $200 range.

Aftermarket Corvette Accossory drive - These go in the $5-600 range w/o A/C.

I have to have A/C because I live in phoenix.
I can't use the stock low mount in my corvette without major frame work.
So CTSVCADDY found a place to order High mount A/C that has LSA S/C idler pulleys integrated.

I'm patiently waiting for the result that he had with the set up.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post your update once you get it mocked up id be interested.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

My plan is to find a factory LSA balancer on Ebay - see them in the $200 range.

Aftermarket Corvette Accossory drive - These go in the $5-600 range w/o A/C.

I have to have A/C because I live in phoenix.
I can't use the stock low mount in my corvette without major frame work.
So CTSVCADDY found a place to order High mount A/C that has LSA S/C idler pulleys integrated.

I'm patiently waiting for the result that he had with the set up.

GMPP sells a "modified" CTS V acc drive setup for just under a grand with everything you need except AC and balancer which high mounts the alternator. Oh, and the balancer is like 130 on amazon.

Please post the high mount ac info when you get it, I'll need it down the road for my build.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RLJ676
GMPP sells a "modified" CTS V acc drive setup for just under a grand with everything you need except AC and balancer which high mounts the alternator. Oh, and the balancer is like 130 on amazon.

Please post the high mount ac info when you get it, I'll need it down the road for my build.
Standard CTS-V acc won't work on my set-up. it mounts the alternator low and that doesn't clear my control arms, and they run just under a grand.

The corvette accessories are on the same rib alignment as the CTS-V, and it mounts the alternator high with the PS pump low. Essentially the GMPP set up you're speaking of is the same as a corvette set up. So I'd rather pay ~$600 for an aftermarket, than ~$1k for the "modified" CTS-V set up.

I understand the CTS-V set up comes with the S/C idlers, but since I need to mount my A/C high the stock idlers would be useless to me anyways.

Thanks for the info on the balancer though. I hadn't even thought to check Amazon. I shop on there all the time too.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Standard CTS-V acc won't work on my set-up. it mounts the alternator low and that doesn't clear my control arms, and they run just under a grand.

The corvette accessories are on the same rib alignment as the CTS-V, and it mounts the alternator high with the PS pump low. Essentially the GMPP set up you're speaking of is the same as a corvette set up. So I'd rather pay ~$600 for an aftermarket, than ~$1k for the "modified" CTS-V set up.

I understand the CTS-V set up comes with the S/C idlers, but since I need to mount my A/C high the stock idlers would be useless to me anyways.

Thanks for the info on the balancer though. I hadn't even thought to check Amazon. I shop on there all the time too.

Does the aftermarket one include the alternator/PS pump?

Do you have a link to the AC mount that works w/ the supercharger belt? Looks like we're doing similar things here haha. I was assuming I can find an AC mount that will go on the inner belt and not alter the supercharger belt/idler?

I've gotten a few things off Amazon for cheap, like LS7 throttle body for 130, that balancer, etc.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have a link to the AC mount that works w/ the supercharger belt? Looks like we're doing similar things here haha. I was assuming I can find an AC mount that will go on the inner belt and not alter the supercharger belt/idler?
I've been studying this front setup for about a month. I just finished a custom high mount R4 compressor bracket for my build and I've been devising a way to integrate it into this SC belt system. The main "budget" concern I've found is that that LSA supercharger tensioner is $200+ by itself and mounts weirdly to the cylinder head and transversely to the water pump, which could be an LS3 water pump or an LSA specific water pump, not sure, but that boss is not there on your cheaper, more common water pumps. So that factory LSA SC 8-rib tensioner/bracket simply occupies too much real estate for to use it at the same time as a high mount compressor bracket without some major surgery. I've been looking at a way to build a custom bracket that bolts a different application (less expensive) 8-rib tensioner and my R4 compressor together to the engine at the same time using an f-body/corvette water pump.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Does the aftermarket one include the alternator/PS pump?
Yes. Here's a link to one on Jegs, but most all the major auto market places sell the same set up. Summit, jegs, pace, ebay etc...
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...ductId=2806347
Includes alt. (150amp usually), ps pump, and the necessary brackets and idler pulleys. From what I understand the LS3/LS7/LSA waterpump is the same, and you'll need one for the proper bosses to install the S/C idlers. That may not be 100% correct, but I'll get one anyways to have the replaceable thermo.

If you scroll up to ctsvcaddy's post above he gives a place where he found and ordered a high mount A/C w/supercharger idlers from a company called street and performance. (google will get you there quick). Waiting on him to post the results of the test fit before I make any further decisions/purchases.

Quick Reply: lsa blower swap?