hydroboost/power steering/brakes help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydroboost/power steering/brakes help

65 mustang
turbo 5.3
88-98 chevy power steering pump (with what i believe is the correct psi via washers)
mustang 2 rack
sn95 mustang hydroboost

im getting ZERO brakes. i can pump up a pedal with the engine off but when its running, the pedal goes to the floor very very easily. i've vacuum bled the brakes (at each wheel and the master) AND the power steering lines (took low pressure side off and vacuumed out that way constantly filling up the resv). pump does still whine a little bit espically when hitting the brakes. sitting ideling, there is very little whine.

my thoughts:
bad hydroboost unit (no visable leaks)
wrong pump psi

ideas?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

If the pedal goes to the floor and you still have no brakes then you have a brake problem not a hydroboost problem. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? Do you have brakes with the engine off, I wouldn't think so.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have drum brakes, reach through the knock out and adjust them tight as you can yet still be able to turn the wheels, some drag is fine. If they are too loose you can't get a proper bleed, and all the pedal travel will be used up just moving the shoes back and forth
Old 04-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Krom
If you have drum brakes, reach through the knock out and adjust them tight as you can yet still be able to turn the wheels, some drag is fine. If they are too loose you can't get a proper bleed, and all the pedal travel will be used up just moving the shoes back and forth
Did you ever get this fixed? Having the same issue on my swap truck.

Quick Reply: hydroboost/power steering/brakes help