Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine movement limiter (torque strap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Engine movement limiter (torque strap)

Car is a 94 Cadillac Fleetwood, originally LT1, now ly6/ S480. I want to minimize engine movement, yet still have factory mounts soak up vibration. Need limited movement because alternator is close to hood, and fender exit exhaust.

Will this work? This is just a random bolt I happened to be able to wedge in there.

Name:  20150824_061726_zpsvatt6bu0.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  3.67 MB

I am thinking about using 1/2-13 nut welded on top of mount bracket. Drill hole through crossmember and put 1/2" bolt up through threaded into nut. Jam nut under mount and a slight amount of play between bolt head and crossmember.

Any reason that won't work? How much play should I leave? 1/8"?? Thanks for any input.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Engine limiter

I think the bolt would transmit vibs to the frame/body. Newer mounts don't come de-laminated like they did back in the early '60s but if the alternator is that close I would try to increase the space by notching the inner hood structure, lower the engine or lower the alternator a bit. Poly bushings are stiffer than rubber too. In other words I would search for a solution that didn't include that bolt or similar. GM had a cable fix at one time.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the input! But I am thinking about leaving some play in the bolt. So vibration would only be transmitted when under heavy load. I think? Long story, but polyurethane is not working out with these mounts. The mounts I have on the crossmember are stock 10$/pair stock jobbers.

Quick Reply: Engine movement limiter (torque strap)