Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corolla LSX Swap PCM Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corolla LSX Swap PCM Question

So I have two engines, one 24x reluctor iron 5.3 with a harness and PCM that is unassembled and one 58x reluctor 4.8 that is put together. The thing is, I only have a harness and PCM for the 5.3 I'm sure it won't work with the 4.8, but my question is the harness. Is there a difference between GEN III and GEN IV 4.8/5.3 engine harnesses? Is there any way to flash a PCM to work with a motor with a different reluctor wheel? I know I'm probably going to have to flash whatever ECU I use anyways.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't answer that, but I like the sound of an ls corolla. Do you have any more info? Pics?
Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by treefingers
So I have two engines, one 24x reluctor iron 5.3 with a harness and PCM that is unassembled and one 58x reluctor 4.8 that is put together. The thing is, I only have a harness and PCM for the 5.3 I'm sure it won't work with the 4.8, but my question is the harness. Is there a difference between GEN III and GEN IV 4.8/5.3 engine harnesses? Is there any way to flash a PCM to work with a motor with a different reluctor wheel? I know I'm probably going to have to flash whatever ECU I use anyways.
Some differences... For sure, the 24x sensors run off 12v and the 58x sensors run off 5v. Cam and crank sensors are either different, in different locations, or both. One could be a cable drive throttle and the other DBW. The later engine may be DOD, VVT or both. Not sure if it's worth the hassle to re-pin the harness.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Some differences... For sure, the 24x sensors run off 12v and the 58x sensors run off 5v. Cam and crank sensors are either different, in different locations, or both. One could be a cable drive throttle and the other DBW. The later engine may be DOD, VVT or both. Not sure if it's worth the hassle to re-pin the harness.
Not all gen IV engines have VVT and AMF. The LH8 has neither.

Andrew
Old 09-27-2015, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Not all gen IV engines have VVT and AMF. The LH8 has neither.

Andrew
Yup, and the OP will need to figure out which "options" his harness has, what he needs to have, and proceed from there ("Is there a difference between GEN III and GEN IV 4.8/5.3 engine harnesses")...

Quick Reply: Corolla LSX Swap PCM Question